Pork Shoulder from Costco ..

Jason B

TVWBB Fan
I bought the cryovac "pork shoulder" from Costco aka Boston Butt. This is the one with 2 butts in it.

Well this is the first time I have picked one up that was so separated. Is this normal? Also, the fat cap was next to non existant. It was crowded as all get-out so I just kinda grabbed one and dind't inspect it as much as I usually do.

Have you guys run into this before? I'm thinking it might be a blessing in disguise in that I could get a ton of rub into places that are normally still attached.

Did this one just get cut differently than the ones I usually get from SAMS?

a shoulder is actually 2 parts. the butt and the picnic. i think you just got a 2 pack of boston butts.

I did, but what I was saying is that the meat was not attached like it normally is. I had to use 3 pieces of butcher's cord on each butt to keep it together whereas in the past it has been one whole piece that didn't separate until after the cook.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jason B:
I bought the cryovac "pork shoulder" from Costco aka Boston Butt. This is the one with 2 butts in it.

Well this is the first time I have picked one up that was so separated. Is this normal? Also, the fat cap was next to non existant. It was crowded as all get-out so I just kinda grabbed one and dind't inspect it as much as I usually do.

Have you guys run into this before? I'm thinking it might be a blessing in disguise in that I could get a ton of rub into places that are normally still attached.

Did this one just get cut differently than the ones I usually get from SAMS? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jason, Costco sells "boneless butts" thats the reason why it is so "separated". Sometimes it helps to tie them back up to even out the cooking. Most of the ones I've gotten from Costco are massacared. I prefer the bone in butts so I get them from BJ's now.

ahhh. yes boneless. you need to tie them for sure. i get mine from BJ's as well. i just picked up 2@19.85# total to do the week after christmas

DOH!

That's what's different. Jee thanks for pointing out what should have been so obvious.

Guess I won't get the satisfaction of pulling the whole bone out of the roast like a knife through butter.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jason B:
DOH!

That's what's different. Jee thanks for pointing out what should have been so obvious.

Guess I won't get the satisfaction of pulling the whole bone out of the roast like a knife through butter. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My dog would hate me!
icon_biggrin.gif

Boneless butts are what I use now because of Costco and we really like them. We dont tie and the extra bark I get is really a plus for me. They are hacked up, but after pulling, you cant tell the difference.

I get mine at Costco and it looks as if they were boned out with a machete. I use plenty of butchers twine to tie them up and they always turn out fine.

Me too. With tieing they work out fine.

Question, is a pork butt bone okay for dogs? I thought pork bones will splinter, or is that just the ribs?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">because of Costco </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I did an overnight somke on two of these and I agree; tie them up, or they will fall into 50 pieces when you try to take them off. That said, these were the best butts I've ever cooked!

Steve

Back