Pork ribs question

James Tucker

TVWBB Fan
I was at my butcher today to pick up a brisket, and we got talking about ribs as I am doing ribs over brisket this weekend. I mentioned that I was basically doing the 3-2-1 method and he said, when I go to pull them off to put the sauce on for the final hour that I should sauce them when they are hot then rap and put them in the fridge and let them get COLD, then put them back on the grill and finish them off. He told me that a lot of "rib guys" do this as the ribs seem to really "suck the sauce in as they are cooling off".

I was just wondering if anybody has heard of this method or ever tried it, or am I going to be the guinee pig for this rib method?

Cookin in Canada!!!

I would be worried that the sauce would over take the flavor of the ribs and taste too much like the sauce. I like the sauce to compliment the ribs not take them over. JMO
icon_smile.gif

I'm with Bryan. I'm not sure about the 'rib guys' to whom he refers (I know none that would do that. nor would I) but I don't sauce ribs on the cooker. Even if I did the sauce would go on just long enough to set up a bit and no longer. Depending on the type sauce you use and its ingredients, the meat could be easily overwhelmed if soaked in sauce for a long time.

Your butcher's right - if you're par-boiling. Gives the sponges, ....er ribs, a chance to try dry out a bit and get rid of the extra moisture. Now if they didn't have a chance to soak in the flavor of the sauce then they wouldn't have any flavor at all!

If you're using a dry rub with sugar in it then you should get a nice crust on the ribs anyway. This will act like a barrier between the ribs and the sauce. This is one of the reasons I like to apply a thin sauce to my ribs and let it set for a half-hour. The one thing I cannot stand is a rack of ribs swimming in sauce!

Par-Boiling....

A LONG time ago most of my friends would tell me that the only way to cook ribs right was to throw them in some boiling water...just until the color changed. I think that may still be the norm for a lot of folks. From what I've seen, it's mostly people who cook ribs on a hot regular grill though...I've never met anyone who smokes them who does it.

Back