Pork Loin

Tom R (doughboy)

TVWBB Member
I picked up a good sized pork loin and I've got it on the smoker now. I can't seem to get the temps below 250 (at the top of the 22.5 wsm with all the bottom vents closed and the top open) and the loin is right around 125 internal right now after 3 hours.

I used almost a whole blue bag of K with some of that going into a full chimney to start it. 3 good sized hunks of apple in there and a light rub with some stuff I threw together. I'm hoping that it will be done before midnight.

Any recommendations after that? Should I try to pull this for sandwiches? I was planning on getting it to about 140 then opening up all of the vents to crank the heat for about 20 minutes for good bark... Maybe I'll just cover it in foil and toss it in the fridge until tomorrow, then slice super thin?

I've got two brisket flats to do for the NYE and wanted to try out this pork.

I say get your internal temp to 145*. I like slicing, personally. I'd let it rest for a bit once you take it off, slice it tonight, and then re-heat it tomorrow. Get the work out of the way tonight and snack a bit while you do.

Pull the loin at 142º internal cause you'll get carry over heat to take it past the 144º internal safe temp for pork. If you cook it to pull it, you better have tons of gravy or the like, so you can swallow the meat.
icon_wink.gif

I took it out at 145, foiled it, and it is sitting in foil on my counter right now. It smells great.

I don't know if I'm going to slice it tonight or just let it cool tonight, then warm it tomorrow and slice it.

A few pics:

IMG_1368.jpg

IMG_1373.jpg

IMG_1374.jpg

Taht sure does look like a butt to me too. Hopefully it is just the bigger, fattier end of the loin. Should be delicious sliced up. and the color looks awesome!

Turned out great. Pork Sirloin Roast actually. Pulled from the bones and picked a little and sliced. Super tender, juicy, and a really nice smoke flavor:

IMG_1401.jpg

IMG_1412.jpg

IMG_1413.jpg

Back