Pork Loin

Todd J

Figured I'd try something different as an add on to the turkey this year. I found a nice 3.3 lb pork loin that seemed like a good idea to smoke. Now looking over the forum, I get the idea, this is not a great idea. Seems like it is best for the grill, but can work on the WSM with a foiled empty water pan. I have a weber gas grill, but wasn't planning to go that route. Is it ok to use a rub, like one used on a butt and smoke this around 300+ to an internal temp of 150. I'm was hoping I could wrap it in thick style bacon, after it sits in the rub overnight and then smoke with hickory and slice to serve. Trying to remember all I've read today, I think the only other opinion is to sear the loin before smoking. If so, when should I wrap it in bacon? I guess I could sear it, then wrap it and place in the smoker? So far my smoking has been ribs, picnics and butts. Just wanted to try something different that didn't require the time it takes to do a butt. Also thinking about throwing on some pig candy after the loin is done and the smoker is hot. Anyone been down this road?

Todd,

Last week I smoked a 7 lb pork loin in my WSM. I cut it into two 3.5 pounders and used this recipe for Tennessee Whiskey Pork Loin. I used the commercial Jack Daniels Honey Smoking BBQ sauce instead of the one included with the recipe. The mustard sauce & bacon wrap worked great. The results were awsome and I will deffinately be repeating this one soon. It was fork tender.

The recipe is for a 3 to 3.5 loin which is why I cut mine in half and then doubled the recipe (also it fit better on the WSM cut into two 3.5 pounders).

I smoked it for about 2 1/2 hours at 275* lid temp so I don't know how well it would work along with a turkey and no water in the pan to hold the temps down. I think you need the "low and slow" for the pork and higher heat for the bird. Not sure how to resolve that in a WSM, so you may have to use two cookers. I still recommend you try the Tennessee Whiskey Pork Loin recipe however.

You want to cook loins at a higher heat. You're better off on a kettle or gasser, but can run the temps up on the WSM if you wish. I'd pull the water pan out all together if you're going that route.

Rubs - any rub with sugar as one of the ingredients will burn at the higher temps. If your butt rub uses little or no sugar you should be fine.

Thanks for the tips David. The bird will be deep fried, so the pork will be going solo in the smoker. I was looking for something alittle different and I think your link is just the ticket. Did you use water in the pan? Typically I do, but I also keep the lid temp around 240 and I think it needs to get alittle hotter for this one.

The forecast for Thursday is low 20's and 20mph wind. What can I do to fight the cold? Anything particular I should do in this case where I am not going 'low and slow'? The smoker is located on a patio in the corner of an L of the house and the yard is fenced. Hopefully, Wind won't be too much of an issue.

Back