Pork Butts on the WSM right now

Got up at 5am, temp had fallen to 198.

I lit some more coals, about 20, and tossed 'em in. The bottom of the WSM was filling up with ash and most of the coals were gone.

Temp slowly starting to rise. I may add even more coals in about an hour or so.

Morning Steve! Sounds like a good night of smoking, with pretty good temp control. I'm surprised you had to add coals though. When I do a Minion, I PACK the coals in, by shaking the charcoal ring vigorously so that the coals all settle in together, and you can usually get a whole bunch more charcoal in that way. Good luck the rest of the way, thanks for the updates!

At 7am, temp was at 211.

I wanted to boost the temp for the last hour or so of cooking, so I added more coals.

Temp is steady at 265 right now. I'm leaving the pork butt on there till I'm ready to head to the tailgate.

I plan to wrap them in foil, put them in a soft side ice chest, inside of a larger ice chest. Drive to Baton Rouge, about a hour away, and pull them when I get there at my parents RV so we can tailgate for the LSU vs. LA Tech game tonight.

It sounds like you've got the situation under control. Enjoy the game!
icon_smile.gif

I just took the temp of butts on the top rack, they didn't read over 180, is this ok?

They've been on there since 1pm yesterday, and for the last hour or so i boosted the temp up to finish 'em off.

This topic can be debated. Some will remove them when the shoulder bone easily pulls from the meat. Others temp. At 180* they are cooked but just not fully done IMO. Most will keep going to 190-200*. With cooking the meat to a higher temp it is my understanding that the fat in the meat breaks down more and the meat will be more tender. Also with the temp being higher they will be easier to pull. Hope this helps. Vince

Back