Pork Butt Yield

Jerry N.

TVWBB Emerald Member
I just did a couple pork butts. I started out with a 17.8 pound two pack from Sam's. I just vacuum packed the pull pork from this cook and had only 4 pounds to pack. That's about 1/4 yield. I trim my butts before cooking which does take a lot of fat off and then when I'm pulling, I get all the fat and clean the meat real good of any nasties and inedible bark. Does that sound about right - 1/4 yield?

No. I get ~ 50-55% with bone-in butts. I never trim though. I will remove extraneous fat, if any, during pulling.

Jerry, I usually get 40-45% loss. Nothing like what you got.
icon_eek.gif
I don't trim my butts. I just let them render down and pick out any leftover pieces when I pull the pork

My last butts: From a 7.75 lb butt: after trimming, I came off the fire at 5 lbs, and had 3.9 lbs after pulling; right at 50% yield

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ron "Rondo" hanson:
Jerry, how much did you eat while pulling
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_smile.gif
...sounds like something I've done
icon_wink.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
wsmsmile8gm.gif

I hear that.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">My last butts: From a 7.75 lb butt: after trimming, I came off the fire at 5 lbs, and had 3.9 lbs after pulling; right at 50% yield </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I should have added, this means 2.1 lbs of remains from 2 butts for making famous pork butt stock.

icon_smile.gif

Just as a guess, I'm thinking you might be over-cleaning. The concept of "inedible bark" is foreign to me.

(Although I use a lot less rub than some folks here.)

I always use bone in Boston butt, and consistently get 50% yield give or take. But I'm typically checking temps with an instant read therm or using the Guru. I've never had a bark I didn't like. Sounds like a problem with fire/temp control.

I don't know about you, but my bark can get pretty tough. Basically a dried piece of jerky. Tasty, but not really something I want in a sandwich from a texture point of view.

Some of the bark softens up when I foil it, but there's still a lot of bark that I don't want to eat. I'm also very picky on the fat.

I think Ray may have a point. I need to do something to make my bark more edible. I will say though that I thought this is normal. I get the same kind of bark on my ribs. Of course, it's just that top strip and on ribs, I'm eating it. At any rate, I guess I should start a new thread on how to make better bark.

Appreciate all the input.
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by r benash:
I always use bone in Boston butt, and consistently get 50% yield give or take. But I'm typically checking temps with an instant read therm or using the Guru. I've never had a bark I didn't like. Sounds like a problem with fire/temp control. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Or even ingredients in the rub
icon_rolleyes.gif

Back