pork butt wood

Danny Shane

i'm doing my first pork butt next weekend. alot of people say to use oak i am having a tough time finding it and when i did it was very expensive what other wood would be best thanks for your advice

I used a mix of Hickory and apple for my first few cooks. I feel I want a little heavy on m wood in general. Next cook will be more apple or friut wood and less of the others!

Apple, cherry and hickory for butts & ribs. I just got a big box of pecan wood chunks and I've been using them for just about everything, even on the grill. Not quite as strong as hickory, but still a good smoke wood.

I pretty much have used a mix of apple and hickory for butts in the past but the last few have been Hickory and oak. I am starting to just use hickory and oak on just about everything other than chicken. Still use apple or cherry for the yardbirds.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Cory L.:
I am starting to just use hickory and oak on just about everything other than chicken. Still use apple or cherry for the yardbirds. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes sir, I concur.

PECAN also is mighty fine for poultry, or ribs, for that matter.

Hickory is an all time favorite, and offers a nice, slow burn. Softer woods (fruits, pecan) burn more quickly and give nice flavors in combination with the hickory. Be careful as the faster burning woods can cause the meat (bark) to get quite dark which can be problematic if appearance is important to you.

Back