Pork Butt Roast on a Weber 335

GEEZE, use a bakery rack! Why do we all seem to make life more difficult!? I am surely not excluding myself from any of that!

Good “Tip O’ the hat” to Brett’s cook, probably one of the best start to finish cook documentation ever! Strong work Brett, and Dan for reposting!
Funny is, I was thinking about this porchetta today for a planned house warming party this summer. I think it’d go well on a large spread of foods. This was a great cook. I WILL be doing it again.

You know, I’m thinking that a porchetta is in my near future!!!
Won’t be for Easter I’m pulling rank and making a ham for Sandy and whoever and a leg of lamb for ME!! Sides yet TBD but, I will be using the last of the treats from My favorite bakery, dinner rolls and my “special” Easter cake decorated by Jessica, I miss those folks, they made every birthday, or any dinner special! You’ve all seen the pictures.

Last edited:
It's on the grill. Seasoning is fennel seed, kosher salt, pepper corns, crushed red pepper and garlic, ground in a morter. Going to serve it with roasted root veges, golden beets, yams, carrots, red potatos and red onions. Along wiith a tomato, avocado, and artichoke salad with feta.

Also trying out the TempSpike side by side with the Weber probe just out of curiosity's sake.

More to come

Attachments

• IMG_2188.jpg
    IMG_2188.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_2189.PNG
    IMG_2189.PNG
    81.3 KB · Views: 3
Well I was please with the outcome and thanks to everyone for their tip and tricks. I thougt I would have to spend more time chasing temperateure on a gas grill, but was pleasingly surprised with how the temps ran. Once both outside burners were dialed down to low it held at around 300 for the duration. Took a little bit of TLC to keep the temp up at 450 during the first 30 min.

The Weber probe and the TempSpike appeared to be fairly close in monitoring temps. I like the Weber app with it's timed graphs showing exactly what time it went in and tracking temp by time.

The roast came out just great and probably could have pulled a little earlier, it had a pretty crusty bark. But I couldn't complain I wasn't looking for shredded pulled pork. It sliced up nicely. The wife was pleased becuase the house wasn't smoke up doing it in the oven. Over all it turned out to be a decent cook. I love that fennal rub.

Attachments

• IMG_2191.PNG
    IMG_2191.PNG
    81.4 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_2193.PNG
    IMG_2193.PNG
    97.6 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_2188.jpg
    IMG_2188.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_2194.jpg
    IMG_2194.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_2195.jpg
    IMG_2195.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 3
Maybe cut down the high heat period a little at the start will help keep it from crusting so much. I have a prime rib roast I will doing for Easter Sunday.

I've got one in the freezer vacuumed that they had on sale at Christmas. Might have to get another one, maybe cut it up into steaks and roast the ribs.

The nice thing about a gas grill is once you get the burner(s) dialed in they'll hold like a rock. Unless you get sudden brutal cold or a hurricane force wind suddenly blow up at it. That was one thing I liked about my Genesis grills. Dial in the burners once lid was closed and it held. As long as the lid's closed you're good.

Back