Pork Butt Questions

Allan Jones

TVWBB Member
I have a standard sized Weber and am planning on doing four butts, about 5 - 7lbs each for 14 hours and then finishing in an oven until internal temp is 200* for pulling.

Question: Is this too big a load??

they will fit in an 18" WSM, no problem, two on each grate

use a full ring of charcoal and be aware it may take a little longer to get the cooker to temp than usual, you could start with some more lit to minimize this if you like

No problem at all. Be sure to leave enough rest time.
icon_smile.gif
Here's a link to several other posts about doing 4 butts at a time.

Bill
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Thanks for the responses.
I'm making pulled pork for a party at our condo's club house, so that's why I'm going to oven finish.
After reading links, I think I'll bump up to a 16 hour smoke, I can always pull off earlier!

I'm serving the meat with Carolina Gold Mustard sauce and a quart of "Blues Hog Tennesse Red". Have never used the Red before, but samples on some baked ham tested out very good. It has a little bite to it!

Thanks for the responses,

Allan

You can finish them in the oven if need be, but 14-16 hours for butts weighing 5 to 7 pounds should be enough to finish them without the oven.

Burt
icon_smile.gif

I've done two lots of four over three days twice. It might be more than 14 hours - don't go by time, let them get nice and soft.

They'll be great

Cheers,
Michael

Back