pork butt or picnic ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

i love this web site !!!!
i am wondering what the difference is between
these cuts. does the picnic cook any faster ?
is the meat quality any different?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ray dobbins:
[qb]i love this web site !!!!
i am wondering what the difference is between
these cuts. does the picnic cook any faster ?
is the meat quality any different?[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>You can't go looking for a cut of meat because it cooks faster or slower. Kinda defeats the purpose of a smoker. They're ALL cooked low & slow.

If you prefer pulled or chopped pork, go for the butt. If you like it sliced, get the picnic.

Ray,
I have found that they both take about the same time per pound to cook. You will get more shrink with the picnic because they have more bone and skin.
I find the taste is about the same.

rj

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ray dobbins:
[qb]i am wondering what the difference is between
these cuts.[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>The pork shoulder can be cooked whole, or butchered into two parts. The upper part is the Boston butt, and the lower part is the picnic.

Butt seems to be the more popular cut.

Regards,
Chris

I've done both, and found them about equal, with a slight preference going to the Boston. Picnics tend to be larger, and cheaper, so I usually go for these if quantity of finished product is an issue. For smaller groups I usually use Boston.

The Boston Butt is a lot easier to find at a typical grocery store. However, I would suggest calling in a order a few days in advance and get one cut at 7-8 lbs. I have found that these will still have the bone and a decent amount of marbled fat. Ask for one over this size, and you end up with a fat cap that you should cut away to about 0.25 inch thickness. If you don't cut it down, it is just more to toss after the butt is pulled. Regardless, you are still paying for too much fat with a "oversized" butt.

Speaking of fat, a typical picnic will have a noticeable fat cap. I find that the pick nick reminds me more of ham than the butt does. Also I have found more bones in the pick nick, for a notable larger net loss in before and after weight for a pick nick as compared to a butt.

I have converted many a person to slo-n-lo BBQ, via the pulled butt. Folks show up for the ribs, but the butt is something that few have had and less can properly cook. Like brisket, slo-n-lo is the key. I have found that mops are not really needed with the water pan, but to each his own. The other great thing about the butt, is that you can pull it, and place it into small freezer bags. It stored well, and this smaller quantity is great to share with friends and family. Any more, I have to smoke 2 butts to keep people supplies with to-go packages after dinner, and still have enough for a few days of sandwiches!

Ted "slo-n-lo" Former

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back