Pork Butt n Beans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff S.

TVWBB Fan
Gonna try my hand at smoking some beans while a boston butt at the same time this weekend.
My plan is to smoke the butt for around 7 hours before I throw the beans underneath it.(gives the beans plenty of time to cook)
Im going to saute some vidalia onions and some fresh minced garlic and add this to approx 64 oz of pork and beans, along with 2 cups of leftover chopped brisket, 1 to 2 cups of BBQ sauce, and salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste.
Oh yeah, and sprinkle in some rub, mix well and stick right under that butt so all the drippings get mixed in with the beans.
I plan on trying the mustard slathered recipe since I have yet to try it.
If any out there see something wrong with my plan, see a better way to do the beans, please advise ASAP.
Im trying to copycat Jack Stacks BBQ beans, and this is my first try, so its all trial and error.
Thanks all, and have a wonderful weekend /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Jeff......

Sounds like a plan! Though I personally would use baked beans instead of the pork and beans.

One tip, drain as much of the juice from your canned beans as you can. You are adding lots of liquid and the grease will also add to it. I find that if I leave too much juice in the canned beans, the final product is too runny.

I will wager they will be the best beans you have ever eaten!

Stogie,
Thanks for the advise.
Pork butt has been on for about 2 hours, and holding steady at 251 degrees.
I cant wait to get the beans going. (I love my beans)
I will post some pics when finished with the cook.

Well, the butt is at 163 and them beans are underneath it.
My plan is 5 hours for the beans, and of course the butt will be done when its done.
I will keep you all posted.

I use Raichlen's recipe which starts with 3 cans of navy or great northern beans, an onion that you've sauteed in 6 oz of bacon, brown sugar, molasses, worcestershire sauce, bbq sauce, dry hot mustard, apple cider vinegar, and jalapenos (and maybe some other things I've forgotten). Goooood eats!

Well, sorry but I have no pics.
I forgot to charge my cam, and got hungry and couldnt wait.
Some things to note.... I think Stogies suggestion of using baked beans instead of pork and beans wouldnt been better.
Beans were still awesome with a nice smokey flavor.
Pork butt was awesome too, however I think Im partial to the Mr. Brown recipe over the mustard slathered.
Butt took close to 20 hours, whewwwwww.
Fixed sweet corn, corn bread, and cole slaw as other sides.
All and all, it turned out really good, and the family loved it all.

jeffr hode,
My bad for the typo.
Stogie suggested using baked beans but I had already purchased pork and beans.
I believe baked beans (like maybe bush's) wouldve been better.
Dont get me wrong though,,, these were still some really awesome beans!
I will definatley try this recipe again with some baked beans.
After all, beans go great with everything especially corn bread /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back