Pork Butt, but only limited time

SamB

So, I've got a BBQ coming up this weekend. Want to make some pulled pork. I've got visitors coming in from out of town, and we are going to want to go to the beach, bars, etc etc... so I need to do "as short cook times" as possible.

I tried searching on here and didn't find an answer to this, but if it already exists, please point me to it...

I've only done 8+ pound butts that usually end up taking ~15 hours, plus a little rest in tin foil before I pull.

I know a 4lb butt will cook much faster, but will it be as good and flavorful as an 8lb? Will the reduced cook time prevent everything from melting down into gooey goodness?

If anyone has any pulled-pork-done-faster advice, I'm all ears (eyes?).

Thanks!
-sam

ps: Using a WSM 22.5

Cut the 8lb butt in half. Cook at 350 until it reaches internal of 160 and then foil and cook till tender. Should take 5hrs give or take. You may find more fat than normal when you pull it so just discard the extra fat.

Trim, cook with no water in the pan at 275-300*, and foil once you get good bark, which for me is when the meat is around 170*. Depending on how fast you cook, eight pounders done in under ten hours is NO PROBLEM, and you don't need a long rest afterwards, either. Faster you cook, though, the more fat and connective tissue to remove when pulling. For that reason I prefer to cook a little slower, around 250*, and allow myself 12 hours from putting on the cooker til serving. That's usually cooking multiple butts and maybe two grates worth, though.

Last edited:
Now see, I don't find regular SM butts to have to much excessive fat or tissue IMO. I usually do a modified version of that first link I posted and those usually run in the 8hr range. 5-6 hrs I like the color and then foil. I do agree that a long rest like that link is over-kill as the residual heat can over-cook the butt.
But. like my sig says whatever works for ya:wsm:

Tim

Thanks for the input everyone. Still not sure what I'm going to do.

I definitely want to try these quick methods, but not sure if I want to risk a new method on the guests I have coming in...

Thanks again! :wsm:

Trim, cook with no water in the pan at 275-300*, and foil once you get good bark, which for me is when the meat is around 170*. Depending on how fast you cook, eight pounders done in under ten hours is NO PROBLEM, and you don't need a long rest afterwards, either. Faster you cook, though, the more fat and connective tissue to remove when pulling. For that reason I prefer to cook a little slower, around 250*, and allow myself 12 hours from putting on the cooker til serving. That's usually cooking multiple butts and maybe two grates worth, though.

Thanks for the input everyone. Still not sure what I'm going to do.

I definitely want to try these quick methods, but not sure if I want to risk a new method on the guests I have coming in...

Thanks again! :wsm:

I can vouch for Dave's method....that's what I did a couple months back:

http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?223...-from-the-Flat&p=304869&viewfull=1#post304869

Back