Pork Butt 16 Pounder, what would you do?

Ok opened that sucker up last night...turned out to be two pieces. One a little over 8 pounds and one almost 7 pounds. I think I will do an overnight cook instead of trying to push it and start early AM hoping it will finish. I want to serve food around 3ish or 4PM. Do you think firing up the WSM at 9PM the night before will be fine? If it finishes early how long can I leave it wrapped in foil in a cooler? I don't want to let it rest TOO much right? (I think I might just do the 8 pounder and freeze the 6 pounder, I have a lot of other meat to serve)

If you are only going to do one Tom, I'd fire up the WSM around 11pm. Going on the 1.5-2hrs per that's roughly a 12-16hr cook time making it done at 11am-3pm. People have had it wrapped for quite a long time. I haven't done more than 4hrs.

Originally posted by Chuck_B:
If you are only going to do one Tom, I'd fire up the WSM around 11pm. Going on the 1.5-2hrs per that's roughly a 12-16hr cook time making it done at 11am-3pm. People have had it wrapped for quite a long time. I haven't done more than 4hrs.

Cool thanks Chuck! I will try that...I should shoot for a grate temp of 225-250 right? Somewhere in there?

You could also wrap it/blanket it and put it in your microwave (not turned on though
icon_wink.gif
) and it'll keep nice and warm too (though it'll leave the micro out of service for a while).

Back