Poll, how do you grill your Russet potatoes

Bob Correll

R.I.P. 3/31/2022
I'm talking whole Idaho/Russet type spuds.

On the advice of Kevin K. I stopped 'sticking' them before grilling, good advice IMO.
I believe he also advocates G , but I've been doing H , and we prefer them this way.

Listed are all the methods that I've tried, feel free to add to the list, and I'll edit them in.
Comments are of course welcome, or just post the letter.

A - Plain, on the cook grate

B - Oiled only, on the cook grate

C - Oiled and salted (or seasoned), on the cook grate

D - Plain, but foiled, on the cook grate

E - Oiled and foiled, on the cook grate

F - Oiled, salted (or seasoned), and foiled, on the cook grate

G - Plain, in the coals

H - Plain, but foiled in the coals

I - Oiled only, and foiled, in the coals

J - Oiled, salted (or seasoned), and foiled, in the coals

Sorry, none of the above! My opinion, you're missing out on the best option of all -- and such a simple change. Just take "C" and cut them in half lengthwise before oiling with EVOO. Add kosher salt and freshly cracked/ground black pepper and put them on the grate. Takes about 20 minutes or a little more. Turn to crisp the outsides evenly and get grill marks all around. (Spray with EVOO at any time if you like.) When they will squeeze slightly with tongs they're done. I like them to squeeze easily (well done).

These are now our favorite potatoes and just about all we cook. No more fries at all -- these are MUCH better. My wife likes to add sour cream on top, but I think that's pretty much overkill.

Edit: I wash the potatoes thoroughly and eat with skins. Leaving the skins behind is a waste of great food...

Rich

Rich,
We like them that way too, or with a little garlic evoo in a cast iron skillet.
But we also like them whole, baked style, especially with steak.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RichPB (richlife):
Sorry, none of the above! My opinion, you're missing out on the best option of all -- and such a simple change. Just take "C" and cut them in half lengthwise before oiling with EVOO.
Rich </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rich, Direct or indirect?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I believe he also advocates G </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I do, especially for sweets, but it works well for russets if you don't care about the skin. I go this route with russets sometimes but more often it's A, B or C for russets.

One thing I never do is foil. Never. Foil makes the potato steam, not bake, and the finish is dense. I like a very light, flaky finish. And I like good skin. So no foil for me.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Charles Howse:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RichPB (richlife):
Sorry, none of the above! My opinion, you're missing out on the best option of all -- and such a simple change. Just take "C" and cut them in half lengthwise before oiling with EVOO.
Rich </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Depends on what works for you, Charles. I have found it doesn't matter much, but I usually do mine direct. I normally cook them on the "warming rack" and only move them directly to the grate if I want more crisp because everything else is ready. With high temps, it can help to do them indirect if on the grate (you may consider the "warming rack" to be indirect, but the temp and sear is the same as on the grate). At low temps (smoking temps), it will take longer and the finish won't be as crisp.

Beneath the crisp is light and fluffy just like whole baked -- but pre-cut.

Rich

Rich, Direct or indirect? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I plank more often than cook whole (wedges I mostly do in the oven) if I am grilling. For those, a simmer in well-salted water, dry, then oil and grill till flaky inside, crisp outside. A favorite.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
I plank more often than cook whole (wedges I mostly do in the oven) if I am grilling. For those, a simmer in well-salted water, dry, then oil and grill till flaky inside, crisp outside. A favorite. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Planks? Is that like this?

P1010255-PP.JPG

That's with peanut oil, salt and pepper. I don't use EVOO because I don't think it's good for high heat cooking. I've done them on gas and charcoal this way but get better grill marks on gas.

Yes. I often square them off.

I do use evoo as it's my go-to oil. The heat really isn't high enough, even direct, to be an issue.

Grilled rubbed flat iron, potato planks, green beans, dried cherry-thyme sauce:

2011-04-19_20-29-17_508.jpg

Kevin, I do potato planks similarly but have never had such a nice golden blistered finish. Yours look great. How do you accomplish that?

Rita

A+C

Nothing more needed!

Love the kevin planks. but then again you can do art with taters:

IMG_5763.jpg

DSCN2476.JPG

(Lampe/Don Cred for the pics)

Back