Plum wood drying

Chris F.

TVWBB Member
I have a pile of wood from a plum tree that my dad had to cut down. The pieces are anywhere from 1" to 3" in diameter. They've been sitting in a pile for almost 2 years now. Do you think they're dry enough for bbq'ing? How can I tell? Thanks.

Bang two pieces together, they should sound hollow. Try splitting a piece or two and feel the inside, it should not feel damp at all. Also, the ends of the wood should show 'cracks'.

seasoned-wood.jpg

Man, Larry, you've got a picture handy each time you answer someone's questions.

Are these stock photos, or do you go out and take a pic when the need arises? Either way, it certainly helps. I've got some wood drying right now. My apple logs look ready to split.

Chris,

2 years is more than enough time for wood that size. I cut oak in similar sizes and it's ready in about 6 months. Part of it depends on where the wood is stored; inside, outside, covered, humidity, etc.

Paul

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by G Dechaine:
Man, Larry, you've got a picture handy each time you answer someone's questions.

Are these stock photos, or do you go out and take a pic when the need arises? Either way, it certainly helps. I've got some wood drying right now. My apple logs look ready to split. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This particular picture came off the web, but I have a couple thousand cooking pictures stored away that I try to find to answer questions from time to time.

ME TOO!

I picked up some free plum from a local orcharder in '07, drilled about 100 holes in a plastic garbage can and set it outside. I dumped and shuffled the entired load last summer. The wood is dry, primed and has a pleasant and evocative aroma that is perfect for pork and chicken.

Back