Plum wood? Anyone have experience to share?

Brett-EDH

TVWBB Hall of Fame
I have a fruitless plum tree that I am going to remove as part of a landscaping project.

The tree is around 20 years old and should be easy to cut down and make splits out of (famous last words).

Has anyone here used plum wood in their bbq and can offer some feedback/input on it's quality for flavor and smoke?

I plan to season it for a full summer which means it should be ready to go for next season.

Just curious so I don't waste time with this tree if plum wood isn't worth the effort.

I don't think I ever tried it but it sounds right.
You can speed up the drying process on chunks by putting up in your attic for a few weeks, maybe a month.
I heard on using a microwave on a chunk or two but not sure on the time or power %.

We have a bunch of those trees and I have used it for years on salmon.
I keep a firewood pile and on the side of the pile I keep smaller cut fruitwood pile for smoking.
The smaller cut fruitwood (we have several kinds) I keep is normally about 1-1/2” to 2” diameter and 6-8 inches long and split.
I find it relaxing cutting and splitting the smaller cuts.

It is a good wood but I think all fruit woods smoke nice.
I never used it on pork or beef because we use oak, almond or apricot and like that.
If I had to guess I would say close to cherry maybe 🤔.

I don't think I ever tried it but it sounds right.
You can speed up the drying process on chunks by putting up in your attic for a few weeks, maybe a month.
I heard on using a microwave on a chunk or two but not sure on the time or power %.
our summer days are 28% humidity and full sun on my due-south patio. i'm thinking my smaller woods will dry out this summer. i agree, likely similar to apple and cherry.

I agree fruit woods are usually easily received.
But I do remember that one poster recently said plum was not good.
Hopefully it was different

Last edited:

Back