Please help!

Dave Maze

TVWBB Member
So this is how my 18" WSM thermometer looks. Any way dry it out/fix it without having to buy a new one?

Attachments

• WSM Thermometer.jpg
    WSM Thermometer.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 6
Mine is half full of water, and doesn't work anymore, I never use it anyway , instead I use a separate digital thermometer, with probe at the grate level.

but if you really want to fix yours, take it out and try the oven treatment, you may have to drill a small hole in the lense or back to let out the moisture, then seal it back up if you succeed

I replaced mine with River Country brand with a 2" stem. I had to drill a hole using a unibit but it works well and I can adjust it to match the temp on the grate without the need to have a probe on the grate itself.

I replaced mine with River Country brand with a 2" stem. I had to drill a hole using a unibit but it works well and I can adjust it to match the temp on the grate without the need to have a probe on the grate itself.
Since the Delta T (cooking grate temperature to lid temperature) changes throughout the cook, how do you accomodate that ?

Last edited:
Yuk - my WSM thermometer probably looks like that too.. I went for a walk in my St. Louis MO neighborhood and it's so dang humid it was more like a swim! Feels more like gulf coast that midwest here right now. I'll take off my cover and check the thermometer to see if I have the same or not.

Yuk - my WSM thermometer probably looks like that too.. I went for a walk in my St. Louis MO neighborhood and it's so dang humid it was more like a swim! Feels more like gulf coast that midwest here right now. I'll take off my cover and check the thermometer to see if I have the same or not.
I grew up in South County. My first time in Pensacola I thought it was just like St Louis but not as hot.:oops:

Since the Delta T (cooking grate temperature to lid temperature) changes throughout the cook, how do you accomodate that ?
Just go for grate temperature as your standard temperature guide that is why I set mine up as if I have a probe on the grate. I would never worry about the lid temperature.

I think Bob means how do you dial it in to the grate vs where it is located....

Just go for grate temperature as your standard temperature guide that is why I set mine up as if I have a probe on the grate. I would never worry about the lid temperature.

Kind of...

What I saw in Cary's post was a possible 'issue' of the grate to lid temperatures relationship understanding, ie "and I can adjust it to match the temp on the grate"

When cooking, there is not a consistant relationship throughout the cook. The Delta T will be greatest when there is "cold" meat on the grate and least when there is "hot" meat on the grate.

Trying to accurately calibrate a lid thermometer to either the lid or grate is the witch's brew. Like timing the stock market. The temp at the top of the dome is going to be all over the place depending on a handful of factors and that is going to very by as much from what you measure at the grate.

I am approaching grate/dome temps based on 'averages', 'abouts' and 'almosts' rather than precise temps. Not sure if that is right or wrong, but there are enough other things to fret over getting the thermometer exact isn't one I need to contend with. I have two identical therm's.. River Country 3" dials.. one on the WSMs dome and another three fee away in the hood of my gasser. As long as they are showing the same ambient as the digital shows I'm good (enough)..

Back