Please help Propane Tank hole location 2007 Weber Genesis

Joe Z

Hi

Converting a 2007 weber genesis from NG to Propane.

I bought the correct manifold and regulator.

I need to cut a hole in the base for the propane tank.

If someone has this grill could they please measure the diameter of the hole and its location from the sides as shown below?

Thanks

ph0XVni.jpg

A7Pm8Sp.jpg

Last edited:
I have an E320. Same grill, just not stainless. Anyway, it is 1 3/8" on the front edge and 3/4" on the right edge. Diameter of hole is 9 1/2".

Last edited:
The tank should still have a holder. Do you have one of those?

cmfyBsg.jpg

The one in the photo is available but I won't be able to deal with it until after the 5th of July. PM me if you are interested.
Bruce

Yes, I am almost positive that the side piece on the natural gas ones is still pre-drilled for a tank holder. No holder/scale, of course. I did a conversion on a second generation 300 and that's the way that one was.

Yes, I am almost positive that the side piece on the natural gas ones is still pre-drilled for a tank holder. No holder/scale, of course. I did a conversion on a second generation 300 and that's the way that one was.

Thanks!

You guys are awesome.

I have a tank holder and the side panel was pre-drilled for it!

Joe:
Do yourself a favor and DON'T cut the bottom. Just get a rubber mat to set the tank on inside the cabinet. If you cut the hole and don't get the edges painted correctly, you will just be starting another place for rust to start to eat up your new to you grill.

Joe:
Do yourself a favor and DON'T cut the bottom. Just get a rubber mat to set the tank on inside the cabinet. If you cut the hole and don't get the edges painted correctly, you will just be starting another place for rust to start to eat up your new to you grill.

I tried this already.

I feel that the top of the propane tank is too close to the drip tray. I like to shut the valve off on the top of the propane tank as soon as I'm done grilling. (so I don't forget) and the tray was awfully hot on my knuckles!

I'm assuming that with the hole in the base and the tank scale the tank will be further away from the drip tray. Yes?

Last edited:
Maybe just mount the scale on the outside. But might have to drill mounting holes a bit lower to clear the shelf.

I converted my E320 Natural Gas over to Liquid propane and i DID NOT CUT A HOLE... just as DAN mentioned your opening up a can of RUST...!! I just used a very thin rubber cushion under the tank. I also don't use the Tank bracket as mentioned above... i purchased my Propane tank from COSTCO and it comes with a Empty full gauge. https://www.costco.ca/Bernzomatic-2...ank-With-Gauge-(Empty).product.100284763.html also the price i paid at my Costco was $38.00. I also turned the tank so when i open the right hand door i can see the Gauge with no problems.

Last edited:
I tried this already.

I feel that the top of the propane tank is too close to the drip tray. I like to shut the valve off on the top of the propane tank as soon as I'm done grilling. (so I don't forget) and the tray was awfully hot on my knuckles!

I'm assuming that with the hole in the base and the tank scale the tank will be further away from the drip tray. Yes?

One other thing you need to consider is that the natural gas version of this grill has an unshielded drip pan. The LP version drip pan has a second metal shield welded to it to help prevent too much heat from getting dangerously close to your propane tank. It may be a little bit of overkill, but your mentioning how hot it is right above your tank valve does give me some real pause. A replacement tray won't be cheap, unfortunately, but a propane explosion could cost you everything.

Of course, if you modified things to put the tank on the outside that problem would be solved.

Jon,

Thanks for that info. When I check the parts list at Weber, the grease tray part numbers are the same for the NG and LP versions.

Propane

Natural Gas

Part number 67758 which is a shielded stainless tray.

I checked and I have a porcelain un-shielded tray....

So thank you for pointed this out!

I have found the spot welds on them to be very week. It probably fell off and they chucked it.

For now I have the tank mounted on the outside on a scale.

I'll either find a used shielded drip tray or add a shield to my porcelain one by bending and riveting a piece of stainless sheet metal.

For now I have the tank mounted on the outside on a scale.

I'll either find a used shielded drip tray or add a shield to my porcelain one by bending and riveting a piece of stainless sheet metal.

That sounds like a good, safe plan.

Back