Please help me figure out which year for Genesis Silver

DSteinschneider

TVWBB Member
Hello Weber experts,

I have a 2005 Genesis Silver B that I was able to rebuild with the help of posts here - thanks to all here for sharing your expertise!. Since I prefer the burner configuration of these older models I keep an eye out in the neighborhood for them. I found one in very good condition with cast iron grates, very little rust. I ordered new flavorizer bars, igniter kit and the crossover burner tube (the other burner tubes are in great condition but the cross bar was rotted for some reason).

This grill is slighlty different from the one I bought new in 2005 which has smooth endcaps. The endcaps on my new project have exposed 1/4 holes with what must be threaded inserts that the bolts that attach the hood to the endcap go into. What year's models had that feature?

One other difference is my model uses the 7510 igniter but this model had the nut so I think is the 7509 igniter

A fiinal difference that might be because perhaps the burners are third party but the insect protection is a black cylindar around the entire burner instead of the usual of the usual little screen panels. The burners are in great shape and have an excellent flame.

EDIT 1 - I found the black cylinders - 4786971 Spider Guard - the only related model that I found came with them is a Gold C which I don't think this grill is.
EDIT 2 - that round pipe for the manifold is different - all the others I've looked at have a square manifold - Is that aftermarket?

The identification sticker is in place but the ink is gone

Thanks

Doug

Attachments

• weber_genesis_silver_b_endcap.jpg
    weber_genesis_silver_b_endcap.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Hi Bruce, thanks for the help - you are right on the money. I found a manual in PDF form titled "Genesis Silver B LP Owners Guide 55008 03/21/2001" in which the diagrams match perfectly so I'm going to say it's a 2001 Genesis Silver B.

Last edited:
I think the 2000 was the same as well...maybe even 2002. But close enough.

I think that Weber dropped the spline bolts on the lid when they went to the more rounded lid. My 2005 Silver C has the cast studs with the more rounded lid, while my 1998 Gen1200 has the squared off lid with bolts. I don't think the end caps are interchangeable, but I defer to the more experienced guys on the board for this stuff.

Ed, I do believe end caps are interchangeable on all the early Genesis grill right up to when they went to rounded lids. So basically from the mid 80's to early 2000's. That is not to say the end caps are identical across those years, just that they can be used on any lids during that time.

I just read the entire "I will just leave this here" thread - very informative, I'd been wondering about things like why did most grills go all stainless - it's those hipsters :cool:. My favorite was the guy with all the printers who keeps his grill inside.

I just read the entire "I will just leave this here" thread - very informative, I'd been wondering about things like why did most grills go all stainless - it's those hipsters :cool:. My favorite was the guy with all the printers who keeps his grill inside.

I did that too but it only had 61 pages then not 173. 😆

Bravo for sticking it out through all them. 👍

I took everything apart except removing the firebox from the stand. I decided to replace the flavorizer bars, grates and igniter. I decided that I prefer cooking with rod style grates and the cast iron ones weren't in as good shape as I thought.

The grill cleaned up nicely. The burners tubes are in almost new shape. It looks like the gas connection is fairly new also (tested for leaks with soapy water). The slide out pan is in good shape also. I followed Bruce's very good advice of not trying to make the grill look new as cooking on it a few times will negate that effort.

The grill also came with the same stainless steel tack welded grates that came on my 2005 Genesis Silver B. They are nice and clean but a few of the welds are loose and after fighting that battle on my original Silver B I decided not to use them.

Thanks again for all the priceless advice here - $50 grill plus $120 in parts and I have what I think is better than what Weber is selling now for $800

Edit 1, I might touch up a few spots with some POR paint.

Edit 2, I saw in this thread https://tvwbb.com/threads/my-genesis-1000-rehab-in-progress.82185/post-913958 that I'm missing this bracket to hold the manifold
1597179255824.png

I think I might just create my own version of this.

Attachments

• IMG_20200811_132734.jpg
    IMG_20200811_132734.jpg
    219.5 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20200811_132756.jpg
    IMG_20200811_132756.jpg
    219.1 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20200811_133118.jpg
    IMG_20200811_133118.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20200811_133124.jpg
    IMG_20200811_133124.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 17
  • MVIMG_20200811_132804.jpg
    MVIMG_20200811_132804.jpg
    209.4 KB · Views: 16
  • MVIMG_20200811_132705.jpg
    MVIMG_20200811_132705.jpg
    233.2 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
I took everything apart except removing the firebox from the stand. I decided to replace the flavorizer bars, grates and igniter. I decided that I prefer cooking with rod style grates and the cast iron ones weren't in as good shape as I thought.

The grill cleaned up nicely. The burners tubes are in almost new shape. It looks like the gas connection is fairly new also (tested for leaks with soapy water). The slide out pan is in good shape also. I followed Bruce's very good advice of not trying to make the grill look new as cooking on it a few times will negate that effort.

The grill also came with the same stainless steel tack welded grates that came on my 2005 Genesis Silver B. They are nice and clean but a few of the welds are loose and after fighting that battle on my original Silver B I decided not to use them.

Thanks again for all the priceless advice here - $50 grill plus $120 in parts and I have what I think is better than what Weber is selling now for $800

Edit, I might touch up a few spots with some POR paint.
That looks NICE! Job well done, I would say!

Yes, that bracket is supposed to support the manifold. A couple zip ties or pieces of wire will work too.

Back