Please edumacate me about the Hunsaker

PHolder

TVWBB Pro
I have an 18" WSM and mostly do low and slow butts with an occasional meatloaf or Prime Rib or Turkey during the holidays. I have an Auber to control my low and slow cooks.

I have been intrigued by the Hunsaker Vortex either the basket and plate or just the plate.

Does this work with temp controls and low and slow. Is it worth the $. My searches have shown talk of hot and fast cooks.

Need a little feedback from folks who have used it.

Thanks all.

Last edited:
I have the vortex with the plate for the 22, it's built like a tank!

I've only used it a few times and it seems that it runs hotter then the regular basket using the vents, no temp controller, it also sits higher in the smoker so hanging anything might be a problem.... Frankly, the regular basket has always worked fine, as for a more even temp, I doubt you'd notice a difference. It's built good though...lol

Ive got one on my 22 and I like to use the plate with hanging ribs, it seems to help even out the heat distribution and keep the fire from flaring up from the dripping fat, but I still get that great flavor from it vaporizing or running down the side of the plate.

I second the built like a tank, its very solid and very well built, definitely feel like you're getting a great product.

I bet it would work and I would imagine it might give you more efficiency and even heating once the thing gets heated up. That said, it's not something high on my list to buy. I'm really happy with how my WSM cooks. We have a member who built a clone of it, but I never got a full sense of how much he liked it or not.

I will say this, in addition to the high quality of the device, the Hunsaker family were very nice to deal with, I'm sure any questions you may have they would gladly answer them

Thank you all.

Just trying to figure out if there is value in using this as opposed to the water pan. I don't put water in the pan and its only there to deflect direct heat. Do the fat drippings add favorable flavor?

Depends on who you ask...I don't mind having the drippings on the fire or deflector, some people hate it....
You could try leaving out the water pan and just cook over the charcoal like with a drum,

I too am wondering how people run their WSM with this device. With or without water pan? Also, how would you add wood chunks to this? Would you get to temp and remove the vortex plate and add wood or light the coals from the bottom and let the wood burn from the heat of the lower coals?

I have one, only $33 shipped! Well worth it. I got just the plate for use with the stock charcoal ring. One caveat... I am new to the 22” WSM (had my 18.5 for 11 years) and I tried two cooks (my first two cooks on the 22) and it was a fire breathing dragon! No water pan. There are likely other issues involved that I will chase down. I love that vortex plate though!

You don't remove the plate while the ring is lit (it's incredibly hot). Minion method to start with chunks on the outside is how I do it. I have plates and a basket. They can be run with or without the water pan. It really does even out temps especially when hanging and cuts down on the assertive flavor found (that some don't like) when cooking over open coals. $33 shipped is solid deal. Mark Hunsaker is a good dude to deal with.

Back