Playing with Rib Rings today

Well, since no one else has asked...
How were the racks to clean?

I never wash barbecue stuff in the dishwasher, but I tried running Rib Rings through a high-temp, heavy duty wash cycle without any detergent (wasn't sure what affect that would have on the shiny finish). At first I thought it looked pretty good, but on closer inspection there was still a lot of stuff left. So I hand-washed it in the sink. There are lots of connecting pieces and nooks and crannies, more than most rib racks, but it's also 2x larger than most rib racks, so to some extent that's to be expected. If I wasn't trying to keep it shiny for purposes of my video review, I might have tried hitting it with oven cleaner (which I do with my cooking grates) or tried detergent in the dish washer.

The silence about cleanup makes me curious, Chris.
It was either really good or miserable, I like the concept but, where do I put it?
Sorry, someone should have PM'd me...I kind of lost track of this thread!

Chris do you spray the ring with anything like Pam non-stick spray?
I think it might help. I've never done it with other rib racks, but I have with cooking grates and it can help. Don't see how it could hurt with Rib Rings.

Here's the review I just posted on YouTube:

Thanks Chris, that’s about what I expected to hear. If I had more space, maybe. Right now, I’m twenty pounds of charcoal in a ten pound bag already.

The review was very comprehensive. But for my own personal preference--and this may not be fair since I have not used the ring--I have no interest in it, as I hang my ribs and I'm perfectly content with that method. Plus, I am in a similar place as Timothy F. Heck; I have a few items purchased a year ago that I've yet to try. I have a strong desire for two other accessories that I am trying to resist :rolleyes:

Yep, Fletch, a vortex is higher on my list than another rib rack, I think I have four racks, three of the newer ones and one of the old style.

Chris am I correct in assuming saucing the ribs would be a hassle with this?

Thanks!

Yes, as is the case with most rib racks. You could sauce the ribs in the outer ring fairly well, but not the ones in the middle and inner rings. But when using any rib rack, I'm content with saucing ribs after removal in the kitchen.

Yes, as is the case with most rib racks. You could sauce the ribs in the outer ring fairly well, but not the ones in the middle and inner rings. But when using any rib rack, I'm content with saucing ribs after removal in the kitchen.

Thanks Chris I appreciate it. The BBQ Guru is three miles from us, (I purchase my lump there), so I may drop by and check it out for myself.

Back