Platinum I rehab done!😅

Joanne Settle

Well, I wouldnt mke $ rehabbing/flipping a Weber based on my labour hours, but I enjoyed seeing it progress. It was tough getting it apart, and even harder to source good high heat and stainless here in 🇨🇦. I wanted to finish it quickly, but the project taught me patience.
Solid rod ss grates, and flavorizers and ss hardware all around. New igniters and new burner tubes. Attempted to wirebrush the firebox interior but gave up. Painted all but the enamel and exterior. So impressed with the heat, and the little tables.29A6B0F9-B327-42C7-AD3E-15F12E75E5E2.jpeg431987B4-7C8C-4DCD-A019-EDE6E83D3C94.jpeg29A6B0F9-B327-42C7-AD3E-15F12E75E5E2.jpeg431987B4-7C8C-4DCD-A019-EDE6E83D3C94.jpeg

839DCE9C-73C6-402F-A0B6-C81E43C8C412.jpeg
Final things:
1. Fiddle with side burner, it worked before rehab but not now.
2. Not happy with front metal skirt, may grind down smooth and paint flat black.(gloss shows all flaws).
3. Restrain myself from making wood shelves.

I plan to present it to my 23 y.o and gf this weekend. Hope they will enjoy for many years to come.
I def could not have done it without this forum, thank you.

Attachments

• 5770605B-065B-4ECD-B938-2F56D5E37EB6.jpeg
    5770605B-065B-4ECD-B938-2F56D5E37EB6.jpeg
    158.2 KB · Views: 24
Joanne, that's a really nicely done restore on that Platinum! Congrats! Your 23 year old is going to be thrilled! :)

I'm sure you'll get the side burner sorted.....

Rich

I don't understand the big disconnect between the US and Canada. You guys get way shafted on a lot of goods. If you can even source them at all.

Keep in mind that other paint companies make very comparable High heat paints. I think Krylon makes one and then you can also use the Caliper paints that are rated for 900 degrees. Certainly you can source some of that stuff.

It's even more perplexing in this case since rustoleum sells silver and copper high heat ultra in spray cans here, but not black. @Bruce VHT sells a black caliper paint which would work but it's over $20 which feels excessive...

They used to sell the black high heat ultra here in Canada but no more. And the equivalent Krylon black comes out brown. I ended up using Tremclad gloss black high temp which is now owned by Rustoleum.

Last edited:
Spray Krylon does as well Bruce. This is on my mini-WSM that I built a few years ago. The tamale pot ended up brown. I did a set of end caps with the spray last month and had to spray them again with Tremclad because they were the same brown tint

9B4700CF-00F0-4E52-97F8-52CBE523140C.jpeg

Well, I wouldnt mke $ rehabbing/flipping a Weber based on my labour hours, but I enjoyed seeing it progress. It was tough getting it apart, and even harder to source good high heat and stainless here in 🇨🇦. I wanted to finish it quickly, but the project taught me patience.
Solid rod ss grates, and flavorizers and ss hardware all around. New igniters and new burner tubes. Attempted to wirebrush the firebox interior but gave up. Painted all but the enamel and exterior. So impressed with the heat, and the little tables.View attachment 36642View attachment 36643View attachment 36642View attachment 36643

View attachment 36644
Final things:
1. Fiddle with side burner, it worked before rehab but not now.
2. Not happy with front metal skirt, may grind down smooth and paint flat black.(gloss shows all flaws).
3. Restrain myself from making wood shelves.

I plan to present it to my 23 y.o and gf this weekend. Hope they will enjoy for many years to come.
I def could not have done it without this forum, thank you.
Joanne, I wish I had gotten a gift like that at 23. I am sure thy will enjoy it very much. Nice gift!

It's even more perplexing in this case since rustoleum sells silver and copper high heat ultra in spray cans here, but not black. @Bruce VHT sells a black caliper paint which would work but it's over $20 which feels excessive...
Yes it was maddening to see the silver ultra at Canadian tire. I used VHT automotive paint for engine blocks, but $18.99 a can, and kind of thin but it got ‘er done. I did same as @Richard in NS and sprayed over end caps with Tremclad.

I don't understand the big disconnect between the US and Canada. You guys get way shafted on a lot of goods. If you can even source them at all.

Keep in mind that other paint companies make very comparable High heat paints. I think Krylon makes one and then you can also use the Caliper paints that are rated for 900 degrees. Certainly you can source some of that stuff.
Thanks @Bruce I did just that. VHT paint. I am an hour to the border and until COVID, I always used to enjoy your country’s better shopping selection for certain Items, even with exchange. It’s strange not being able to go, maybe one day soon…

Joanne,
Beautuful job restoring your Weber. It's ready for it's next 20 years of life.
Wanted to mention to you that your grill is a Platinum 1 model. The Platinum 2 version uses the beefier Summit frame and several differences like the larger btu side burner.

Platinum 1:
IVtFPOR.jpg

Platinum 2:
zOuyP5S.jpg

Jeff

Joanne,
Beautuful job restoring your Weber. It's ready for it's next 20 years of life.
Wanted to mention to you that your grill is a Platinum 1 model. The Platinum 2 version uses the beefier Summit frame and several differences like the larger btu side burner.

Platinum 1:
IVtFPOR.jpg

Platinum 2:
zOuyP5S.jpg

Jeff
@Jeff MA thank you so much for helping me identify the grill. Yup I am definitely a Platinum 1 then. Thanks for the pix

The surprise grill was delivered (it fit in my Rav with 1”to spare). Son & gf loved it and we put it right to use. Performed beautifully, impressed with Weber, I may do another one day 😅.

Attachments

• 6DD45340-7725-427B-A0B4-505FFC308473.jpeg
    6DD45340-7725-427B-A0B4-505FFC308473.jpeg
    190.2 KB · Views: 20
  • 0037582F-DD58-467D-B224-3678772A6117.jpeg
    0037582F-DD58-467D-B224-3678772A6117.jpeg
    152.8 KB · Views: 19

Back