Platinum Alert

My wife recently told me that if it meant that I would stop talking about "the greatest grill ever made" that I could start to buy all the Genesis Platinums I find and stockpile the parts somewhere out of sight in the garage.

I've seen 3. I bought 1, the 2nd sold, and the 3rd was sent away with the trash\scrapper before I talked to him.

I have my spare frame, and feel it's my obligation to keep these grills alive for the next generation. Hard to image it, but we are probably in the last few years of this hobby. How many of these dinosaur grills are still left to be restored? Not many I'd venture. This year I've only seen 3 on my local marketplace, and they are all totally roached out and beyond repair.

My wife recently told me that if it meant that I would stop talking about "the greatest grill ever made" that I could start to buy all the Genesis Platinums I find and stockpile the parts somewhere out of sight in the garage.

I've seen 3. I bought 1, the 2nd sold, and the 3rd was sent away with the trash\scrapper before I talked to him.

I have my spare frame, and feel it's my obligation to keep these grills alive for the next generation. Hard to image it, but we are probably in the last few years of this hobby. How many of these dinosaur grills are still left to be restored? Not many I'd venture. This year I've only seen 3 on my local marketplace, and they are all totally roached out and beyond repair.
Bandon - Even though I have have never seen one in person, the Genesis Platinum is the nicest grill I have seen. Some will disagree, but I like grills with cabinets and stainless. Come on the allure of a stainless steel frame;-) If one ever pops up near us in VA I will jump on it like stink on S**T.

I rehabbed and sold one SS PLatinum and I have two SS platinums in my back yard. One is probably destined to become my personal grill. I missed out on another one a few weeks ago. Timing just didn't work out.

Bandon - Even though I have have never seen one in person, the Genesis Platinum is the nicest grill I have seen. Some will disagree, but I like grills with cabinets and stainless. Come on the allure of a stainless steel frame;-) If one ever pops up near us in VA I will jump on it like stink on S**T.
Totally agree. The cabinet is just more attractive and gives my wife 1 more place to store her terra cotta pots that isn't in the garage where I'll break them.

If you're ever down in Charleston, SC, I do have a spare Platinum cart in good shape to share.

Not sure if you have been following my other thread, but I just finished shoehorning a Genesis firebox into a Summit cart. The Summit Platinum made in 04/05 took the coated steel panels on the same year Genesis Platinum 1 step further to stainless and welded it all as 1 piece.

Truly a thing of beauty and should have been what they offered on both models.

Totally agree. The cabinet is just more attractive and gives my wife 1 more place to store her terra cotta pots that isn't in the garage where I'll break them.

If you're ever down in Charleston, SC, I do have a spare Platinum cart in good shape to share.

Not sure if you have been following my other thread, but I just finished shoehorning a Genesis firebox into a Summit cart. The Summit Platinum made in 04/05 took the coated steel panels on the same year Genesis Platinum 1 step further to stainless and welded it all as 1 piece.

Truly a thing of beauty and should have been what they offered on both models.
I have been following your Frankingrill build. I still have no clew why Weber's most expensive line does not use cast aluminum fireboxes. What is up in their tiny little minds I wonder? I like the double badging on the lid BTW. I wonder if your frame is a direct replacement for the Genesis 5 I just got? How would that SS frame look with the glass stereo doors?

I have been following your Frankingrill build. I still have no clew why Weber's most expensive line does not use cast aluminum fireboxes. What is up in their tiny little minds I wonder? I like the double badging on the lid BTW. I wonder if your frame is a direct replacement for the Genesis 5 I just got? How would that SS frame look with the glass stereo doors?

I've been following that thread too lol. Just realized it was you. What a beautiful grill. Prettier than a Platinum IMO, but serves a different purpose. Wouldn't last down here in our salty air.

Yea, very strange decision to reinvent the wheel with the Summits. Makes me wonder if they had concerns about their ability to cast aluminum at that size or something. Who knows...

I believe Bruce or LMichaels said that the fireboxes are interchangeable, I have a Genesis 3000 I permanently loaned a friend as a housewarming gift. I'm going to try and fit the Summit flavorizers into sometime this week to see if I can save them from having to buy new ones. I can measure and confirm at that time.

Do you have 2 or 4 doors? I couldn't tell from the picture.

I have 2 platinums, one which I coverted to an open cart and is a personal grill and the other is waiting to be refurbished and will probably be given as a housewarming gift for my friend. I haven't seen much platinums around my area lately but that could change in a couple of months since summer is just around the corner.

My intention for one of my SS Platinums is to drop a Deep cook box into it and mod the frame to accept it. If it looks to involved or expensive, I will just drop in the regular cook box and be happy with it. But, it won't be having a cabinet unless someone comes up with SS panels for it.

Back