Plate short ribs

LMichaels

TVWBB 2-Star Olympian
So I have a slab of plate short ribs on the Wolf. These are the full bone before they cut them down to stewing size. Seasoning is only S&P. But posing a question I put them on just like this
569g9mW.jpg

But, I am wondering...........would they do better had I separated them into individual bones? I am a little worried about time as I only have about 4 to 5 hours to cook them. Estimating grill temp at about 300 with generous smoke BTW.
Thoughts? Obviously I just put them on about 20 minutes ago so I could still take them off and separate them. (BTW these are 4 bones)

I am not an expert but I think I would stick with plan A. If after four hours they aren’t as close as you hope then maybe cut up. But I would wrap them in butcher paper if you do before putting them back on because I would worry about them getting too dry.

Yeah kinda my thought. I am actually considering wrapping them now about 90 minutes in. Since I think I have all the smoke I am going to get on them anyway. Thinking about using parchment (basically same as butcher paper) and then covering that with foil so I don't have any aluminum concerns of being in direct contact with the food. Also considering getting a cocktail together for the last 2 hours or so of the cook to I can also enjoy a delightful beverage along with our truly delightful early Feb weather we have today

Larry, a little late to the party, but I think you have a good plan.
I was thinking of doing some ribs today with this great weather but I had a lot of fluid plans that I didn't want to push off to mind a grill so I decided against it. Now that all my chores are about done, I have nothing to eat and a few hours until the game starts.

Let us know how your ribs turn out.

Well guys Just before I mixed up my delightful tasty beverage (a Perfect Manhattan) (if you're not sure it does not mean "perfection" it's the name of a Manhattan mixed with equal parts sweet vermouth to dry vermouth and then the whiskey). Not too sweet not too dry "Perfect".
Anyway back to the plate ribs. I temp'd them and found them cooking a tiny bit faster than anticipated. (they were temping 165 to 170). I think (since I have never done them) though they need to go more like 200 to 210 (kinda like a brisket?) to fully break down the connective tissue. So I got a nice sheet of parchment and wrapped them with a 2nd layer of foil over the paper to hold everything in place but I did not seal the foil completely. So as not to totally "steam" them.
My hope is then to run them until 530-545 and then unwrap them for the final half hour to get a little "bark". Of course I will make that judgement when I see them "naked" :D

I am doing freeking stir-fry on the stove. No pictures from me. Heaven forbid.

Will do. I just hope they turn out. They looked and smelled delicious. I did them with a light cherry wood smoke. I used the Wolf because I didn't think the Genesis would have to room for them and keep them "hands off" (no peeking or turning) so due to it's large size the Wolf is easier to work with on this type of cook

Well, I will be the first. And let me say they turned out fantastic. Tender, juicy, and decent light smoke from the cherry. seasoning with simple S&P was spot on as well.

pl7J7HJ.jpg

z0Y7gxz.jpg

ChIMkqY.jpg

ooLd8nc.jpg

Looks great Larry, nice cook. Beef ribs around here are the unicorn of meats. We had some friends over and we kept it simple tube steaks with my homemade chili dog chili, two different types of wings, vegie tray, chips and dips. It was nice not busting our butts.

I did two racks of baby backs with minimal seasoning and lots of Sonny's Sweet Sauce to my wife's specification. Then one rack of trimmed St. Louis style with Memphis dry rub and one well seasoned with Blues Hog rub and covered with Blues Hog sauce.

qK229uS.jpg

hyYRrvz.jpg

Looks like you used your pellet grill on those. Looks nice, but I have never heard of trimming back ribs "St Louis Style" I thought only spares could be done in that style

Those are nice looking beef ribs, Larry! Aaron Franklin has a nice video on it. Says its the easiest thing to cook.

Looks like you used your pellet grill on those. Looks nice, but I have never heard of trimming back ribs "St Louis Style" I thought only spares could be done in that style

Larry,

They were just your basic grocery store shrink-wrapped "St. Louis" ribs. Trimmed from spare rib size but still with a lot of extra. I cut them down so that all that is left is the actual straight rib part and cook the removed part separately. It makes the rack more like a rack of baby backs. The extra stuff I tongue and cheek call "junk" but it is certainly still edible, and I do eat it. Just not put out on display!

There is no such thing as SL beef ribs. But, the ones I cooked cost me $29 out the door (with tax and yes our crooked state taxes our food).

You can't get St Louis cut beef ribs? Do they just not make that cut on beef or is there something different enough about the animal anatomy that prevents it?

If so, what rib cuts can you get in beef?

Larry,

They were just your basic grocery store shrink-wrapped "St. Louis" ribs. Trimmed from spare rib size but still with a lot of extra. I cut them down so that all that is left is the actual straight rib part and cook the removed part separately. It makes the rack more like a rack of baby backs. The extra stuff I tongue and cheek call "junk" but it is certainly still edible, and I do eat it. Just not put out on display!

I freeze the stuff I take off my slabs. (the flabby ends, the skirt and the tips). If my wife wasn't such a PIA about being allergic to pork I would use that in making Sunday gravy (or as some Italian Americans call it Sugo or Ragu) basically it is a thick meat based tomato gravy (sauce) made with pork, some type of beef i.e. braciole we Italian Americans also call brajole (not spelled correctly but pronounced that way), it is thin cut beef pounded out quite thin from cuts such as flank, or bottom round to name 2. It is than stuffed with things like pine nuts, parsley, raisins, and so on. It is browned in the olive oil and garlic with the rest of the "gravy meat" (the rib tips and such from spares, neck bones, sausage and sometimes some veal cuts as well. It is all slowly cooked until dinner time and ladled over mostaccioli, or rigatonni or some other "hearty" tubular pasta with some "ribs" on it to hold the sauce. Of course copious quantities of Romano cheese as well. So the pasta is the first course, typically followed by some kind of a roast (veal, chicken, capon, pork, etc) and then salad and finally the gravy meat is brought out to snack on.
Another thing I do with that "flap meat" is I will trim it well and make homemade sausage

Back