Planning first cook on WSM 22 this weekend..advice on coals? And one question

Bill Herns

OK....so I'm thinking BB ribs. I'm thinking I will place unlit coals...not sure how many...(1/2 way?) in the ring and place 15-20 lit coals on top, spread out. I will also include one or two pieces of hickory as well as 3 or 4 pieces of apple or cherry under some hot coals. I will put warm water in pan. I have no probe as of yet. I will monitor and play it by ear. I will be relaxed and have fun.
Am I missing anything in regards to the coals?

And this just came to mind.....does anyone know people in the tree removal business and get cherry, apple, maple etc branches from them and make their own wood chunks? Just wondering.

I love this place!!

1/2 ring, max of 15 lit (i'd do 12) and max 4 chunks wood--2-3 hickory & 2-1 apple (I'd do 2 hickory, 1 apple). done in ~5 hr @ 225-235o, subject to wind and your temperature management.

Gotta check the meat, don't just go by time. It's only meant to be a guideline. The meat will be done when it's done.

Get the temps to 225. Then put the wood on top then when they"ve caught put the meat on. And don't peek till the 2 hr mark at the earliest.

IMO.

Last edited:
I used to use the "coffee can" method but switched to putting them in the middle/on top/in one layer (like a pancake on a griddle).

I found when I did the can method, the burn would kind of peter out as it neared the edge. Not everyone has that experience though.

I now just spread them in one even layer and I get an even burn for the whole smoke.

Try it one way and if it doesn't work out to your liking, try another way the next time. It will stll burn, it might need a bit of poking part way through to re-invigorate the coals.

There are several ways that work. Try one and see if it works for you. There really isn't a "wrong" way to do it.

one last thing: start with ALL vents open. As the temps climb to 200, close the bottom three ONLY to 1/2 (top stays open the whole time). As the temps get closer to 225, close them a smidge more.

Temperature management will come to you as you do more smokes. It's always easier to raise the temp than it is to lower it. And if it gets away on you, don't worry. It can climb to 250-260-270 with no "damage".

Just close a bottom vent or two (on the "wind" side) till the temps start to fall. It will take a while but it will happen. When it gets close to target, open those closed vents to half of what they were when you noticed the temps start to climb.

You have good advice from others on getting started - but to answer your question about wood - absolutely. I'm lucky in that my yard is full of cherry trees, so I have a great supply, which is great since it turns out to be my favorite wood to use. I've traded my cherry for apple and pear, and have a buddy from down south who is generous with Pecan.

I did baby backs my first smoke too. Did the 321 method, worked great! Good luck.

Not saying it can't put out good ribs as you seemed pleased with the method, but I don't feel like ribs need to be foiled ever and two hours is way too long. That is just me though. I'm more of a 4 to 6 hour smoke guy and once it passes the bend test then they are done.

I usually put a layer of coals spread across the bottom of the rack and then put about 1/4 chimney of lit on top and add my wood and it will take me right to about the 6 hour mark

Back