Planning First Big Cook NEED HELP!!

DerekChase

TVWBB Member
My girlfriend and her sister just graduated from college and her family is having a big shindig the beginning of july and I was chosen to be the cook of the meats. They are thinking there will be 70-80 people there. I have the 22 wsm and a weber genesis and borrowing a 18 wsm.

Questions
How much meat do I need to buy if splitting 50/50 between baby back and pork butt?

How many racks of ribs can I fit on the 22 wsm and how many 10-15 pound butts will the 18 wsm hold?

The party will start around 5pm. Should I put the butts on at around 4am on the 18wsm to give them time to rest in the cooler before hand.

Should I start the ribs around 7am on the 22 wsm. depending on how my racks of ribs will determine how many runs on the 22wsm

I hope I am not over thinking it all. The party is not til the first of July so I have time to gain some knowledge from all you pros. Any advice would be awesome. Thanks in advance!!

Depending on how you arrange your ribs you can fit up to 12 racks on the 22" WSM, maybe more. Rolling the ribs or rib racks or a hanging rack will help increase this capacity on this cooker.

I would plan for 1/4 rack per person + 1/4 lb pulled pork per person with reasonable sides. So that means you should plan to have 20 lbs finished pulled pork and 20 racks of ribs for 80 people. Pork usually yields at 50% roughly, so 40 lbs pork or 4 butts should be plenty.

7AM will be way more than enough time to smoke the ribs, you could smoke two batches (7-12AM; 12-5PM) and finish them off with a sauce glaze on the genesis 3 at a time for service although that will be quite a bit of work.

Also, you can plan to finish the pork butt and hold it in a cooler for several hours, over 4 hours is fine, in a cooler, which will free up the 18" WSM for more ribs 1-6PM if you need it.

The real logistical issue here is not the cooking, it's the processing. Make sure you recruit 3-4 helpful family members to help pull membranes, rub, sort and pull pork, and slice ribs.

Personally, I'd allow more time for the butt(s). I'd shoot for having it ready around 12-2:00'ish. It won't hurt to pull them off, wrap them in foil and put them in a cooler for a few hours. They should stay plenty warm and safe to eat. If you eat at 5:00, you're going to want to start pulling at least by 4:00, if not before. There's nothing worse to me that to have people standing around asking when the food will be done. I start hearing "So and So has to eat by a 0:00 due to dietary restrictions" or "So and so has to leave by 0:00". They won't complain if it's done early. The last butt I cooked took 14 hrs to reach IT. So, starting it the night before would be my suggestion, around 10 pm to midnight. Another thing I find that always happens to me is that I plan to put food on at a particular time but the fire isn't where I want it by that time (my fault, but always happens). That can also add another hour to your target time.

If you try to split things evenly - you'll run out of food. Cook 3-4 butts on the 22 WSM and 6 slabs of Baby Backs on the 18 WSm. Use Rib racks. The ribs will probably go first but 3-4 pork butts will feed everyone else. You may want to cook 6 butts, But cook them ahead of time. Pork Butt reheats extremely well and will tastes great. Reheat at 275-300 and don;t rush it. Pour a few oz of Apple Juice on the cold pork but before cooking to add moisture.

Or

Put the 2 Butts on the 18 and buy 2 Traeger Rib racks. They hold 8 slabs each and fit perfectly on the 22WSM. So you could do 16 racks of ribs on your 22WSM with 2 Traeger Rib Racks. One on each grate. 2 Pork Butts and 16 racks of ribs will feed a crowd.

Any thoughts about smoking the ribs the day before, foiling them and tossing in the fridge, then warming back up to serving temp the next day in the oven? Then you only need to focus on the pork butts the next day.

Plus then you can use both smokers for the ribs, and then both (If needed) for the butts the next day. 4 butts should fit on the 22 easily though.

I have actually smoked, cooled, then reheated ribs 24 hours later and I actually think they turn out better maybe. Certainly not worse.

Any thoughts about smoking the ribs the day before, foiling them and tossing in the fridge, then warming back up to serving temp the next day in the oven? Then you only need to focus on the pork butts the next day.

Plus then you can use both smokers for the ribs, and then both (If needed) for the butts the next day. 4-6 butts should fit on the 22 easily though.

I have actually smoked, cooled, then reheated ribs 24 hours later and I actually think they turn out better maybe. Certainly not worse.

Or as Frank says above, flip it and do butts day before and ribs that day. point is I would try to do one of them on one day, and get it out of the way, and just focus on the other the next day

I also love the idea of having a dedicated assistant. clearly stated that they will be. Not hoping your buddy will pitch in when needed and then he is off playing corn hole or something when you really need him, but someone you know is there to run in and out of house, help with the sauces etc. just whatever.

I often do the butts the day before, that frees up some cooking space "day of". Fewer folks at this years bash so, I may get up early and touch off the smoke and do the foil/towe/cooler method. I did a trial run with that a few weeks back and was quite pleased with the results.
I agree, scullery slaves to pull membranes and be extra hands is a big help! Sadly, I don't tend to get much along those lines but, people do seem to help in cleanup which is better for me! I like things done "MY" way before, by the time it's time to clean up, I am less demanding. "You will do dishes, fine!" I will break down the tables and have a frosty beverage!
I tend to stress until faces are silenced by food. I have been known to stand over the buffet take making sure hot is hot and cold is cold until I start to tear it down, and eat on the fly.
People tell me they never see me eat at these things but, I eat while working, setting up and, tearing down
The hinge from Jason at Unknown BBQ will remove one layer of frustration this season!

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. I am thinking now with all this information I will start the butts at 10pm on the 22 and once I get those on I will get all the ribs ready to go on the smoker around 10am so that I will not have to be in a rush and have everything done by around 4pm the day of the party. I usually have all the help that I need because everyone wants to learn and just help out. All the times that I have cooked, I don't think I have touched and single dish to clean except the smoker and grill because I like cleaning those the way I like. thanks again I will try to take lots of pictures and post them.

I agree with Keith R.:wsm:

If this is your first big cook and you are going to tempt fate with having 80 hungry people waiting.

Do yourself a favor, cook it all before hand, warm up the pork butt in a Nesco roaster and have the ribs in 1/4 rack size in a 2nd roaster, easy peasy and no chance of screwing up.

Back