Plank Salmon

Richard Garcia

TVWBB All-Star
My first try the other day in grilling up some salmon filets on a Weber Cedar Plank. Results were marginally good as we could not detect the "wood taste" and overcooked it somewhat as it was a little dry. I set-up my Weber Performer Deluxe(WPD) with the Weber Charcoal Baskets with 3/4 lit charcoal briquettes in a large Weber Chimney which cooked on indirect heat and the last few minutes the salmon cooked directly over the lit briquettes skin-side down as the wife likes crispy skin. I grilled these salmon filets at around 350F for around 1/2 hour.

I soaked the Weber Cedar Planks in cold water for around four(4) hours before putting them on my WPD..

The Weber Plank easily cleaned and ready for another bout with the Weber Fire. My next try will be at a lower heat level with the salmon skin removed on both-sides to enhance more penetration from the cedar wood and then I will finish it up with a house glaze.

On-the-whole it was a very relaxed and enjoyable way of grilling and I plan on trying this grilling method with chicken, pork steaks, etc.

Attachments

• %e6pifTbSZKONYCAGa2G8Q.jpg
    %e6pifTbSZKONYCAGa2G8Q.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 19
  • 6ZDkFbmuTzW1raArqTaAjA.jpg
    6ZDkFbmuTzW1raArqTaAjA.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 17
  • K4uTjtOeSKSYnLoP%bE7cw.jpg
    K4uTjtOeSKSYnLoP%bE7cw.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 17
  • rAWkBxhnRfGA22IV0jt1Pw.jpg
    rAWkBxhnRfGA22IV0jt1Pw.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 18
  • YZBJ9bd+QxCKjyTv5sKxog.jpg
    YZBJ9bd+QxCKjyTv5sKxog.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 19
  • 5X14pw3kRyWBd6CnpfVvOA.jpg
    5X14pw3kRyWBd6CnpfVvOA.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Hi Richard, just wondering, have you checked out the recipes for salmon on the seafood thread here?

I tend to put my plank over the coals. The plank protects the fish from burning, but you definitely get some smoke. I think the issue might be that by going indirect, the plank never got hot enough to smoke/char, and that's what led to the lack of 'wood taste'.

My first try the other day in grilling up some salmon filets on a Weber Cedar Plank. Results were marginally good as we could not detect the "wood taste" and overcooked it somewhat as it was a little dry. I set-up my Weber Performer Deluxe(WPD) with the Weber Charcoal Baskets with 3/4 lit charcoal briquettes in a large Weber Chimney which cooked on indirect heat and the last few minutes the salmon cooked directly over the lit briquettes skin-side down as the wife likes crispy skin. I grilled these salmon filets at around 350F for around 1/2 hour.

I soaked the Weber Cedar Planks in cold water for around four(4) hours before putting them on my WPD..

The Weber Plank easily cleaned and ready for another bout with the Weber Fire. My next try will be at a lower heat level with the salmon skin removed on both-sides to enhance more penetration from the cedar wood and then I will finish it up with a house glaze.

On-the-whole it was a very relaxed and enjoyable way of grilling and I plan on trying this grilling method with chicken, pork steaks, etc.

Richard, I use that same setup ... almost. If we are cooking salmon for a crispy skin, we don't do it on the plank, just indirect for about 10 minutes and then direct until the skin is crisp. I use one of those copper sheet things. They are pretty great -- very little heat loss, easy to use and super easy to clean.

On the plank, we always remove the skin to take full advantage of the soaked wood. It keeps the fish moist and helps it cook more evenly. We cook it to 125° internal, which usually takes 18-20 minutes at 350° lid temp. Our favorite spice is to just salt and pepper the filet, then smear on some Dijon mustard and a generous sprinkle of light brown sugar. It caramelizes nicely on the plank. The cedar gives it very little smoke taste, so I use a small chunk or two or pecan in the baskets. The result is a light, sweet smoke that complements the spices. A light Pinot Noir is a perfect pairing.

Jeff

P.S. I usually stagger the filets on the plank, something like this. Also, I recently bought some "jumbo" planks online. Very reasonable price and increased length accommodates larger filets.

Plank salmon4 by Jeff Hasselberger, on Flickr

Plank salmon 3 by Jeff Hasselberger, on Flickr

If your board isn't chard you aint getting much or no smoke flavor from it, I rarely cook salmon but over high heat will get some flavor rolling, I don't reuse boards so I don't care how much char ends up on the bottom

I soak the plank in water for a couple of hours with a weight on them because, of course, they float. I get the kettle ready, going to grill directly over the coals. I have my 1 pound of salmon marinating in a ginger/garlic marinade. Pull the fish, and drain it. I take my plank and put it on the grill grate and start to get one side smoking and charred, and flip and char the other side. I then coat the plank on top with EVOO and slap that fish on there. I cook that way and pull at 140°, NO LATER. Perfect every time and tasty with a hint of the cedar.

Thanks for posting this Richard.
I learn new things here and dig that.

I only did the plank cook maybe twice a long time ago and consider it a fail so I never did it again.
I never considered putting the plank on the coals.
Duh!

Back