Pizza

ChuckO

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
To finish off the 16 hour pulled-pork cook, we made pizza. Things didn't go as planned. My dough didn't play nice

Here's the first non-pp pizza, didn't want to come off the peel, had to force it off and use parchment paper. Toppings were good, dough wasn't fully cooked

SnhR94T.jpg

h7I9xTF.jpg

w0BZsLP.jpg

yruXeAw.jpg

We managed to get one decent pull-pork pizza. It was a fun 4th of July. Still have some pp left, maybe I can talk my son into making some more tacos on his Blackstone. That was the ticket for the weekend

ZHCDxPg.jpg

bXuwfDJ.jpg

1rEk6BO.jpg

Hope everyone had a safe 4th of July weekend

Been there and suffered through that. I wound up rolling my pizza into a Stromboli;-) I always do mine on Parchment paper now.

Pizzas look great, Chuck! Parchment is the easiest way to fix the sticky pizza problem, as long as your temps are under the flashpoint of parchment (ask me how I know this!) :) Getting the dough cooked at the same time as the top tends to be a matter of dough thickness and heat applied. Get those two in balance, and you will not have the raw/undercooked dough problem! :)

I have not done a PP pizza before, so will have to try that....PP is so good, so many ways. Hard to beat your son's PP tacos, though!! :)

R

To finish off the 16 hour pulled-pork cook, we made pizza. Things didn't go as planned. My dough didn't play nice

Here's the first non-pp pizza, didn't want to come off the peel, had to force it off and use parchment paper. Toppings were good, dough wasn't fully cooked

SnhR94T.jpg

h7I9xTF.jpg

w0BZsLP.jpg

yruXeAw.jpg

We managed to get one decent pull-pork pizza. It was a fun 4th of July. Still have some pp left, maybe I can talk my son into making some more tacos on his Blackstone. That was the ticket for the weekend

ZHCDxPg.jpg

bXuwfDJ.jpg

1rEk6BO.jpg

Hope everyone had a safe 4th of July weekend
I really like doing pizza on the grill. Yours looks great. I like black olives,
but have never tried them on pizza. Maybe its time I do.....

They all look great. I've never made a pulled pork pizza. We never seem to have any left over long enough. I'll need to hide some next time we have some.

I really like doing pizza on the grill. Yours looks great. I like black olives,
but have never tried them on pizza. Maybe its time I do.....
I like black olives on pizza, especially Peperoni & Salami pizza. Another goodie is Artichoke Hearts. Very tasty

@ChuckO what grill did you cook those on? I can't tell from the pics.
SF EX6 I had it set to 425, the bottom of the pizza dough was done nicely, but because the dough was being a jerk, the middle of the dough wasn't fully cooked. I'm not sure if I should increase or decrease the throttle to get a more-even dough cook

I'm not sure what to suggest. In the past my challenge was getting the toppings cooked before the crust burned.

I'm getting close to having my E6 setup (temps, amount of fire and stone position) dialed in for a fairly thin crust.

One of my kids has asked for pizza with a thicker crust and I'll need to re-experiment or it might end up with undercooked crust.

I may need to go lower temp for thicker crust but I am really not sure.

The only thing that is certain is if I make pizza more often I'll need to buy some new clothes for my increased waistline...

Chuck, your pies always look very tasty. I don't do pizza often enough anymore, so take this fwiw...I don't have the E6.

When I do pies on the grill nowadays, I completely omit rolling the dough in favor of hand-pulling. This serves 2 purposes imo: a slightly thicker, springer dough, and any minor mishaps or tears in the dough coalesce quickly.

Happy to share technique for the hand-pulling, but your pies are freaking awesome without my input.

Indoors and often on the gasser, I still use my pin. Btw, you might like thicker style doughs, like Chicago or Detroit styles. I've done a Detroit style on the grill that is some of my best work. Happy to share.

I'm not sure what to suggest. In the past my challenge was getting the toppings cooked before the crust burned.

I'm getting close to having my E6 setup (temps, amount of fire and stone position) dialed in for a fairly thin crust.

One of my kids has asked for pizza with a thicker crust and I'll need to re-experiment or it might end up with undercooked crust.

I may need to go lower temp for thicker crust but I am really not sure.

The only thing that is certain is if I make pizza more often I'll need to buy some new clothes for my increased waistline...

My mistake was fixing what ain't broke. I should have just made a couple batches of Barb's dough, but I tried a different recipe and the results weren't what I hoped for. When I compare the various recipes, I think the key is that Barb's dough uses very little yeast. I think that's the secret, because everything else is pretty much inline

Barb's Dough

Chuck, your pies always look very tasty. I don't do pizza often enough anymore, so take this fwiw...I don't have the E6.

When I do pies on the grill nowadays, I completely omit rolling the dough in favor of hand-pulling. This serves 2 purposes imo: a slightly thicker, springer dough, and any minor mishaps or tears in the dough coalesce quickly.

Happy to share technique for the hand-pulling, but your pies are freaking awesome without my input.

Indoors and often on the gasser, I still use my pin. Btw, you might like thicker style doughs, like Chicago or Detroit styles. I've done a Detroit style on the grill that is some of my best work. Happy to share.
I did stretch these two pizzas as compared to rolling them. I do several stretches during the rise and then stretch them into shape when it's time to make them. I'll look into hand-pulling and see if I can improve, or take you up on your teaching offer

I always use BBQ sauce instead of tomato sauce when making pulled PP pizza.

Also, if you ever adventure to 00 Flour when making pies, never using a rolling pin, just stretch by hand.

Back