pizza???

Patrick Redmond

TVWBB Member
My brother uses a Big Green Egg and I have to say the best tasting pizza i have ever had was made in that.

My question is has anyone tried to make one in a WSM?? If so how did it work out, and what kind of suggestions would u make.

I have an extra pizza stone sitting around so I been thinking about giving that a whirl but I wont be able to fire up the bullet untill next week.

I think the idea with making pizza in the BGE is that you can run it @ 700+ degrees like a real pizza oven. WSMs top out at 450...

I got my pizza stone to 600 degrees in my wsm a few weeks ago. Put the fire grate and ring on the second shelf with the stone on the top grate. I think I used one chimney of lump.
Pbottom.jpg

I make my own dough without sugar. if you use a store bought dough, you may need to run the pit at around 450 or so. The sugar in the dough will burn at higher temps. I'm cooking pizzas on the Big Green Avacado at the Kansas City BBQ store all weekend if anyone wants to stop by.
db

I made a pizza on my WSM using the setup described HERE.

WSM easily got to around 500 degrees. The charcoal flavor was good and I can't wait to try again. My wife insisted on baking the crust solo for 10 minutes first, then adding toppings. That seemed to work fine.

My only suggestion is to try to remove as much corn meal as possible before you eat.

Also, I've heard of pizza stones cracking due to thermal shock over the fire. I put my stone in right away to pre-heat it, and likewise left it in as the WSM cooled down.

I have made pizza before, using only a "traditional" setup, charcoal on bottom, empty water pan, and two grates. I found the taste was awesome, but it was a PITA to get the temp needed. I may try the other ways that Bradley has talked about to see if it gets up to temp faster.

Just make sure you use a good quality lump. If you use Briq's you might have issues getting really high temps.

I have had my WSM well over 500 with just some lump, 100% vents and the door cracked about 1/4 inch.

Back