Pizza

The one thing I'm wondering though is do you think it would be more beneficial if you could get the heat a little higher by raising the grate some?
I can easily get 700 degrees at the stone, so raising the fire isn't needed. What was needed was to trap the heat at the top. Using the cast iron disc did just that. Now the cheese is bubbling and the bottom is tanning right on que

I can easily get 700 degrees at the stone, so raising the fire isn't needed. What was needed was to trap the heat at the top. Using the cast iron disc did just that. Now the cheese is bubbling and the bottom is tanning right on que

Ok thanks, I was just curious.

Also when I was in Home Depot earlier today I saw this. Looks like the copies are coming.. I'm kind of interested, waiting for some reviews, but the original is still probably the way to go.

jjKhyq7.jpg

HTVsfzz.jpg

Looks like they have the fire right under the stone.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00PP47H4S/tvwb-20

Last edited:

Also when I was in Home Depot earlier today I saw this. Looks like the copies are coming.. I'm kind of interested, waiting for some reviews, but the original is still probably the way to go.

jjKhyq7.jpg

I wonder if the baking steel would fit on that. would be a much cheaper alternative to the pizza kettle. I'd buy a pizza kettle in a heartbeat if they got the pro kit down to a reasonable price.

jjKhyq7.jpg

HTVsfzz.jpg

Looks like they have the fire right under the stone.

IIRC, Matt Rector had just received one of these. He was hoping to use it over the weekend, but judging by the thread he posted, he went fishing instead. I don't blame him. :)

Also when I was in Home Depot earlier today I saw this. Looks like the copies are coming.. I'm kind of interested, waiting for some reviews, but the original is still probably the way to go. {snip} Looks like they have the fire right under the stone
From my experience, it's not the heat under the pizza, it's the heat on top of the pizza. The flaw in the HD version is in the lid, it won't push down any heat to the top of the pizza. That's my WAG, I am curious to see if anyone gets a successful cook out of it

The flaw in the HD version is in the lid, it won't push down any heat to the top of the pizza.

which is why I'm wondering if anyone has put a baking steel on top of it. the original kettle pizza had the same issues.

which is why I'm wondering if anyone has put a baking steel on top of it. the original kettle pizza had the same issues.

Baking steel or any other piece of scrap steel... If it's big enough to cover the diameter of the PizzaQue, has at least 1/8" thickness, and if the walls of the PizzaQue are strong enough to support more weight than a kettle lid, then it will work the way you're thinking, and probably will improve its performance, the same way the Baking Steel (or ChuckO's discada) improves the KP. With this big piece-o-metal in place, you wouldn't even need the kettle lid.

I still think Matt Rector just got one within the past week, so let's hope he'll offer his opinion of it, and maybe include some of his own photos (the official product shots are not great). It's definitely a less-expensive route than the KP. The PizzaQue includes a "charcoal fence" and I assume the idea is to basically use the fence to create a "ring of fire" arrangement of the coals. Depending on what the fence is made of, it may also deflect some of the IR energy away from the center and out toward the perimeter of the grill. I think the fence is just expanded metal mesh, though, which won't do anything to deflect the IR.

Last edited:
I still think Matt Rector just got one within the past week, so let's hope he'll offer his opinion of it, and maybe include some of his own photos (the official product shots are not great). It's definitely a less-expensive route than the KP. The PizzaQue includes a "charcoal fence" and I assume the idea is to basically use the fence to create a "ring of fire" arrangement of the coals. Depending on what the fence is made of, it may also deflect some of the IR energy away from the center and out toward the perimeter of the grill. I think the fence is just expanded metal mesh, though, which won't do anything to deflect the IR.

I did get the Pizzaque kit and used it on Sunday. I haven't downloaded the pictures yet, but I will post the cook when I get a chance tonight. It didn't come out as I hoped, but not too bad for a first attempt. I like the kit. I think Chucks Steel flat top, is the way to go, and will probably rig something like that up, next time.

I wonder if the baking steel would fit on that
The only concern I would have is that the HD version doesn't go full circle. If I had to guess, I'd say it's 70% full circle. So the concern would come in how much weight can it support. The KP is pretty sturdy because it's full circle and it supports my cast iron disc really well. A alternative to a cast iron disc, would be a 22" comal (which I have too) the comal was going to be my back up, should the cast iron not work out. FWIW, I love my Comal. It makes killer breakfasts and killer dinners

The fact that you could use the Comal as a lid on your "pizza attachment" (be it HD or the KP) is the icing on the cake to having one :)

From my experience, it's not the heat under the pizza, it's the heat on top of the pizza. The flaw in the HD version is in the lid, it won't push down any heat to the top of the pizza. That's my WAG, I am curious to see if anyone gets a successful cook out of it

First just to make sure. ;)

I'm not arguing, and completely understand what you are saying... The top has been from everything I've read the problem with these pizza kits. I'm just thinking if you can get the heat closer to the dome it might be more beneficial and the need to cap it not as great. Judging just from the pics of the PQ it seems the fire is higher up as well as the stone, and overall not as tall as the original design of the KP(which this guy deserves much credit and success, but his pro kit is $$$$).

Really appreciate your guys actual hands on experience and that is most important.

How did you get the SF Giants logo, and orange heat sink stands?
High temp paint (specifically Chevy Engine Orange paint)

I painted the area that I wanted the logo to display, orange. I then put the sticker on the orange area, and I then painted the whole pot black. Once it dried, I pulled the decal, which displayed the orange paint. I painted the legs and ash catcher with the same paint. It's held up pretty good, my Mini has been used quite a bit and still looks OK. I had someone offer me $200 cash for it. I thought about it, but I kept it :)

Back