Pizza on the performer and the WSK

Turned out great, Dan!! I think you had a couple of adult beverages when you took that thermo pic! :)

I love it when I get to use my neighbor's Ooni....he's got a Koda 16....that thing rocks!

R

Nice, Dan! Which one did you like better?

sort of a tie.

The WSK is easier to control temps and is easier to launch, rotate, retrieve. Downside is getting the top done before the bottom burns. The kid's pizza's had a lot of toppings so the top was not done when the crust was done, so the Ooni was used to broil the top.

I did my first on the ooni and burned part of the crust. That was just operator error not turning it fast enough.

Lastly, this was a rush proof with Caputo blue. This does much better with a longer ferment and proof, and last night's crust was not as crisp or airy as I can get with a longer cold ferment. In retrospect I should have gone with my 50-50 AP-Bread Flour dough recipe which has more yeast, sugar and EVOO. This needs a cooler ( 600F ) stone so it would have had to been done in the WSK.

I'm going to experiment with some smaller batches / smaller pies on the Ooni, and also practice pre-heating it and then shutting the gas off after a launch, then firing up the fire to finish. The stone temp on the Ooni was 850F+ on the back half and 800 at the front corners. Those temps are unforgiving for too much sauce or too much cheese which my first pie had.

Turned out great, Dan!! I think you had a couple of adult beverages when you took that thermo pic! :)

I love it when I get to use my neighbor's Ooni....he's got a Koda 16....that thing rocks!

R

My summer "Lemonade" is a 24 ounce glass filled with ice, about 4 ounces of costco margi mix then filled up with water. I went through two or three of those while cooking.

Nice, Dan! Which one did you like better?
Update. The second pizza I cooked was started on the WSK. Stone was about 650 F and went about 5 mins and then broiled for a very short time under the Ooni. I just left the pie on the peel and held it under the Ooni flames for 10 to 15 seconds. Pulled it out, rotated180 then did it again.

Thus was much better than the first. Crust was sill chewy but overall a better pie. Perfect cold next day for lunch.

20230713_115817.jpg

20230713_115726.jpg

Last edited:
Update. The second pizza I cooked was started on the WSK. Stone was about 650 F and went about 5 mins and then broiled for a very short time under the Ooni. I just left the pie on the peel and held it under the Ooni flames for 10 to 15 seconds. Pulled it out, rotated180 then did it again.

Thus was much better than the first. Crust was sill chewy but overall a better pie. Perfect cold next day for lunch.

View attachment 74689

View attachment 74690
That is a beautiful pie!!

Thanks for the detailed updates. I've been using a long ferment dough these days with some success. Problem is waiting 4 days. I like your idea of the 50-50 dough.

Awesome pies, man.

Thank you Dan for the inspiration! Made 4 pies today! Topped with: pepperoni, bacon, ricotta, onion.

Attachments

• IMG_3049.jpeg
    IMG_3049.jpeg
    148 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3053.jpeg
    IMG_3053.jpeg
    149.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3050.jpeg
    IMG_3050.jpeg
    163.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3054.jpeg
    IMG_3054.jpeg