Pizza on E6

My biggest challenge with pizza is cooking the top without burning the bottom. I find getting the dome heat soaked and the dome thermometer at 700-800F, then adding the stone, and using an infrared thermometer to monitor the stone until it reaches about 550F. Pizza cooks in just a couple minutes, with that chewy-crispy crust. I’m still working on it myself.

Easiest way to keep your fingertips.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08NPQDVD8/?tag=tvwb-20

And perfect form the E6. Yes, I have this one. My pizza steel is 500-550°, I’m keeping my fingers off and away and this is good, cheap insurance.

I hear that...sweet peel. But even with limited nerves in my fingers, I don't touch any part of my stone. My spatula cost $7 and slides the pie right onto a cooling rack.

I had made some BBQ hot wing style chicken breasts slices. Took some of the left over chicken, some peppers, red onion and blue cheese crumbles and made the best chicken pizza I ever had on the kettle. . wife made a home made blue cheese sauce. First time trying it and it came out great

Used one of these for the crust , straight on the grill coal baskets offset to the side. temp was just over 400 per the dome guage

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-05-29 191201.png
    Screenshot 2022-05-29 191201.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 8
If someone wants to try this on their Performer or 22.5” Kettle, here’s how I cook them similarly with great results, will do my best to describe. I’ve done some searching to try and find my old thread with pictures but couldn’t locate it;

Charcoal grate goes in normal position
Line lump charcoal in a big ring on the outside of the charcoal grate (stacked close to wall as possible)
Cooking grate in standard position
Borrow charcoal ring from 18” WSM and place in center of cooking grate
Place pizza screen or holed cooking pan on top of charcoal ring
All vents wide open and light lump
Preheat all of this (lid on) until it’s screaming hot, offset lid if needed
Lift lid and place prepared pizza on screen or cooking pan
Lid back on, all vents still wide open
Cook to desired done-ness, close top vent to 1/2 or 3/4 at tail end of cook if you need to cook the top a little quicker
Remove and eat

I’ve had great results with this using the raw prepared dough from Publix. I never made my own dough. I would also cook frozen pizzas like this in an effort to church them up a bit when in a pinch.

Important things here are to make sure you put enough lump charcoal, keeping it on the outer ring of the charcoal grate so it’s not under the pie, and getting it preheated properly. You should be pegging the thermometer in the Performer before the pie goes on, which will then choke the temperature down (why preheat is critical).

The charcoal ring elevates the pizza to the top of the lid, you can usually see how well the top is cooking by looking in the lid holes with a flashlight, so no lid lifting necessary if possible. Normally pie would wrap up in under 8-10 minutes.

I first tried variations of this with a pizza stone with less than desirable results. One day I saw a thin, holed pizza cooking pan in the bakeware section at the local grocer, I never looked back.

If you have a 22” kettle or Performer, and a 18” WSM you have everything you need except the cheap cooking pan. Could probably sub the 18” charcoal ring for anything else to lift the screen/cooking pan up. If I had some pieces of wood the same height I’d give it a go. 😂

Last edited:
I also used the diffuser under the stone, and it worked OK but I think it limited stone temp a little too much for the type of pizza and dough used.

For a pappa murf, it might be just right.

This is a 14 inch stone on the diffuser.

View attachment 52735
Dan - I'm going to make some pizza pretty soon, and want to try using the WSK before investing in a regular pizza oven. Are you happy with the results using this method? I'm planning to try something similar in the next week or so. I figure If I can be happy just using the WSK I can save a few hundred bucks and keep life simple. I don't think my family is all that into "Neapolitans". I like that style OK but I really migrate towards anything hand-tossed with a little crisp to the bottom and outer crusts...

Dan - I'm going to make some pizza pretty soon, and want to try using the WSK before investing in a regular pizza oven. Are you happy with the results using this method? I'm planning to try something similar in the next week or so. I figure If I can be happy just using the WSK I can save a few hundred bucks and keep life simple. I don't think my family is all that into "Neapolitans". I like that style OK but I really migrate towards anything hand-tossed with a little crisp to the bottom and outer crusts...
John,

I find two fire bricks, and a raised pizza stone is a winner. I'm using a coal grate from a 22 inch kettle to support a 16 1/2 inch stone.

20220924_181643-jpg.60063

I highly recommend an IR thermometer to temp check the stone. You might as well get one that goes to 1000F as you might someday want to do neapolitan or get pizza oven.

I have this one. It was $20 when I bought it. its currently $25

This one is $17 right now.

More pics and stuff in this thread.

Back