Pizza Night

Ed Grostas

Hi All,
Hope you're having a fun and relaxing Sunday night. I wanted to share the pizzas I made tonight on my old Genesis 1000. Been making pizzas since I was a teen. If anyone's interested in the dough and/or sauce recipe, let me know. I'll be happy to share on the recipe section.
Take care

Attachments

• IMG_2340.jpg
    IMG_2340.jpg
    193.2 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_2339.jpg
    IMG_2339.jpg
    228.1 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_2341.jpg
    IMG_2341.jpg
    190 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_2338.jpg
    IMG_2338.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 24
Looking Good Ed! I have not made pizza yet this year but with yours and other posts on here it is having me wanting to change that. 😋

I have made them before Ed, just not this year. I am always open to everyones suggestions for improvement though. I have just got in a rut with doing chops, steak and chicken thighs this year. Probably too busy and resort to the old usuals but I really need to change things up so thanks for the inspirational post. 🙂

Ed,
Great looking pies! Like Richard I have not made pizzas outside in a while. I have off next Monday and we are planning to turn that into our first kettle pizza day of Summer 2021. I would love to see the dough and sauce recipes!

Ed,
Great looking pies! Like Richard I have not made pizzas outside in a while. I have off next Monday and we are planning to turn that into our first kettle pizza day of Summer 2021. I would love to see the dough and sauce recipes!
Jim & Michael,

No problem. I make two very simple no cook sauces and a dough that slow rises in the fridge. I'll post the recipes in the recipe forum after i get home from work this evening.

For using the gasser as a pizza cooker, I'll report that I've been really pleased with the Gas Pro pizza inset from Kettle Pizza.

The set up is a stone or baking steel underneath the pie, and then a heavy, low, flat steel lid that cooks the top. The lid is 17x24, so it fits great on a new or old model Genesis grill.

It doesn't get you up all the way up to those 800F+ temps you need for true Neapolitan pies when using charcoal/wood as the heat source. Although you can put some pellets or a wood chunk at the back in the back of the insert lid to get smoke and a rolling flame going like you'd see in a true pizza oven.

Not cheap, but solidly made, good results and very convenient.

If you are only cooking a pie or two on Tuesday night, it can be a slow process to fire up the coals (15-20 mins), then heat up the stone and oven (15-20 mins), then cook pizza for 10 mins, then shut it all done and clean it up.

P.S. I previously had a Bakerstone oven insert for use on the gasser. It was OK, but was hard to get hot enough on my older Silver B.

For using the gasser as a pizza cooker, I'll report that I've been really pleased with the Gas Pro pizza inset from Kettle Pizza.

The set up is a stone or baking steel underneath the pie, and then a heavy, low, flat steel lid that cooks the top. The lid is 17x24, so it fits great on a new or old model Genesis grill.

It doesn't get you up all the way up to those 800F+ temps you need for true Neapolitan pies when using charcoal/wood as the heat source. Although you can put some pellets or a wood chunk at the back in the back of the insert lid to get smoke and a rolling flame going like you'd see in a true pizza oven.

Not cheap, but solidly made, good results and very convenient.

If you are only cooking a pie or two on Tuesday night, it can be a slow process to fire up the coals (15-20 mins), then heat up the stone and oven (15-20 mins), then cook pizza for 10 mins, then shut it all done and clean it up.

P.S. I previously had a Bakerstone oven insert for use on the gasser. It was OK, but was hard to get hot enough on my older Silver B.

Jim,
That's an interesting setup. It would solve the problem of browning the top rim the same amount as the bottom. Little expensive though. Most of the year I make these pizzas in my wall oven on the highest setting (550 degrees) with two stones--one on the bottom of the oven and the other on the rack two spaces from the top.

In the summer, I used to cook my crust directly on the grates, flip it and top it quickly, but usually ended up finishing the top under the broiler. On a hot day, a couple of weeks ago, I decided to try it with my pizza stone. I put the stone in, set all three burners on high, and waited until the stone got to about 550 (about 50 minutes). Launched pizza, waited about five minutes, checked and rotated without lifting the lid too high. two-three more minutes until well done.

Back