Pizza Night

Rich G

TVWBB Honor Circle
It had been a while since I made some pizza in the KP, so I mixed up some dough on Monday. We had intended to cook pizzas on Tuesday, but life got in the way, so it happened last night instead. My dough formula was my usual 50/50 AP/Caputo 00 (last bag), and the extra 24 hours in the fridge didn't seem to hurt it at all. The pizza skins opened up very easily, each of the three pizzas got a light dose of sauce, then toppings. I keep these simple and topped with cheese, house Canadian bacon, and house bratwurst (sliced into thin rounds.) The pizzas cooked up pretty quick at about 650-700F, and dinner was served! Everything came out well, except that I didn't ge the skins thin enough, so the crust was a touch on the doughy side. Still devoured all three pizzas, though! :)

A few pics.....

First, the setup. YAY! The KP works perfect in the WSM22 base!

IMG_6583.jpeg

Pizza making station setup:

IMG_6585.jpeg

CB and 1/2 Brat/Cheese pies (one more all brat pie staying warm in the oven):

IMG_6589.jpeg

Those are some great looking pies, I have yet master good pizza crust, may I ask for that recipe? So with the KP working on the base of the 22" WSM does that mean more grills will be leaving you this summer?

Those are some great looking pies, I have yet master good pizza crust, may I ask for that recipe? So with the KP working on the base of the 22" WSM does that mean more grills will be leaving you this summer?
Thanks, Michael. I've found pizzamaking.com to be a great resource to learn all about pizza, and especially dough formulations for different styles of pizza you might want to make. My dough is a pseudo Neapolitan, that performs best at pretty high temps 700F+. The dough is super soft and silky, and stretches out really easily.

One dough ball @ 280g (good for about a 12" pie is:

171g Flour (50/50 All Purpose/Caputo 00)
104g Water
4.8g Salt
3g Olive Oil
.25g ADY

Scale the ingredients above to however many pies you want to make. Mix flour, salt and ADY together in a bowl. Add water and olive oil, and mix (I hand mix) until the dough forms a shaggy mass with all dry bits somewhat incorporated. Cover and let rest for 20 minutes. Knead the dough for 5-10 minutes until it forms a smooth ball, cover and let proof at room temp for 2 hours. If making multiple dough balls, divide dough into as many 280g portions as you have mixed up, form each into a nice tight ball, then put each in it's own oiled container (I use smallish tupperware), and pop into the fridge (covered, of course.) I like to keep the dough in the fridge for at least a day (so, make the dough the day before you want to make pizza), and have had it last just fine in the fridge for up to 4 days. Any longer than that, and you probably want to freeze it. Take dough out of fridge a couple of hours before you want to cook your pies.

Hope that helps, Michael!

R

Nice pies Rich. My KP is a garage wall decoration now. Barb and I found that just using the performer with a good pizza stone at 450 gave us almost identical results with a lot less hassel.

Nice pies Rich. My KP is a garage wall decoration now. Barb and I found that just using the performer with a good pizza stone at 450 gave us almost identical results with a lot less hassel.
I will remember this information as a cheaper option to start trying pizza on the grill once I can land my 22 in kettle I am in the hunt for.

Thanks, Michael. I've found pizzamaking.com to be a great resource to learn all about pizza, and especially dough formulations for different styles of pizza you might want to make. My dough is a pseudo Neapolitan, that performs best at pretty high temps 700F+. The dough is super soft and silky, and stretches out really easily.

One dough ball @ 280g (good for about a 12" pie is:

171g Flour (50/50 All Purpose/Caputo 00)
104g Water
4.8g Salt
3g Olive Oil
.25g ADY

Scale the ingredients above to however many pies you want to make. Mix flour, salt and ADY together in a bowl. Add water and olive oil, and mix (I hand mix) until the dough forms a shaggy mass with all dry bits somewhat incorporated. Cover and let rest for 20 minutes. Knead the dough for 5-10 minutes until it forms a smooth ball, cover and let proof at room temp for 2 hours. If making multiple dough balls, divide dough into as many 280g portions as you have mixed up, form each into a nice tight ball, then put each in it's own oiled container (I use smallish tupperware), and pop into the fridge (covered, of course.) I like to keep the dough in the fridge for at least a day (so, make the dough the day before you want to make pizza), and have had it last just fine in the fridge for up to 4 days. Any longer than that, and you probably want to freeze it. Take dough out of fridge a couple of hours before you want to cook your pies.

Hope that helps, Michael!

R
OK, so I just got the dried chilies to make the smoke chicken enchilada recipe you gave me last week, I am going to make that this weekend and then next it will be the pizza crust. I will take pictures and report back on both.
Michael

Rich, yep, that works, too for sure. Can you share Barb's dough recipe with Michael? As I recall, that dough is probably much more geared to a 450-500F cook temp than the one that I just posted.

R

Great looking pies Rich. Are you using your baking steel under that lid a well.
Yes, Cliff, the steel is under the lid.....I've never seen any real instruction from the KP folks on lid/no lid, but it seems logical to me that if the lid is on, I'm trapping more heat and getting the top steel hotter.

R

Rich, yep, that works, too for sure. Can you share Barb's dough recipe with Michael? As I recall, that dough is probably much more geared to a 450-500F cook temp than the one that I just posted.

R
Happy to share it with Michael.

Homemade Thin Crust Pizza

Makes two 10 inch pizzas:

¾ cups lukewarm water
1 teaspoon active dry or instant yeast
2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
1 ½ teaspoons salt

Combine the water and yeast in a mixing bowl, and stir to dissolve the yeast. The mixture should look like thin miso soup. Add the flour and salt to the bowl and mix until you’ve formed a shaggy dough.

Turn the dough out onto a clean work surface with corn meal on it. Knead until all the flour is incorporated, and the dough is smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes. The dough should still feel moist and slightly tacky. If it’s sticking to your hands and counter top like bubble gum, work in more flour one tablespoon at a time until it is smooth.

If you have time at this point, you can let the dough rise until you need it or until doubled in bulk (about an hour and a half). After rising, you can use the dough or refrigerate it for up to three days.

Cover the dough with the upside down mixing bowl or a clean kitchen towel while you prepare the pizza toppings. Roll out dough on corn meal counter until it’s about ¼ of an inch thick. If the dough starts to shrink back, let it rest for five minutes and then continue rolling. I put corn meal on my peel to transfer it to either the grill or pizza stone. Bake about 10 minutes or until the crust is done.

Enjoy Barb

Happy to share it with Michael.

Homemade Thin Crust Pizza

Makes two 10 inch pizzas:

¾ cups lukewarm water
1 teaspoon active dry or instant yeast
2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
1 ½ teaspoons salt

Combine the water and yeast in a mixing bowl, and stir to dissolve the yeast. The mixture should look like thin miso soup. Add the flour and salt to the bowl and mix until you’ve formed a shaggy dough.

Turn the dough out onto a clean work surface with corn meal on it. Knead until all the flour is incorporated, and the dough is smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes. The dough should still feel moist and slightly tacky. If it’s sticking to your hands and counter top like bubble gum, work in more flour one tablespoon at a time until it is smooth.

If you have time at this point, you can let the dough rise until you need it or until doubled in bulk (about an hour and a half). After rising, you can use the dough or refrigerate it for up to three days.

Cover the dough with the upside down mixing bowl or a clean kitchen towel while you prepare the pizza toppings. Roll out dough on corn meal counter until it’s about ¼ of an inch thick. If the dough starts to shrink back, let it rest for five minutes and then continue rolling. I put corn meal on my peel to transfer it to either the grill or pizza stone. Bake about 10 minutes or until the crust is done.

Enjoy Barb
That you Barb! Thank you Rich and Rich!
From M.Richards

I couldn't pass up the triple Rich in there. I have this bookmarked, I will have pics of the attempt at a later time, first find and purchase the right 22" used Kettle for me and a pizza stone then try this recipe!

That you Barb! Thank you Rich and Rich!
From M.Richards

I couldn't pass up the triple Rich in there. I have this bookmarked, I will have pics of the attempt at a later time, first find and purchase the right 22" used Kettle for me and a pizza stone then try this recipe!
IMG_20200613_131642.jpg
Look what I got today!!! Kettle pizza here we come in the near future...

Back