Pizza--A Test Run

I love making my own pizza, and I'm fortunate to have an oven that can get pretty hot. I'd like to get even hotter, so I have thought about using the kettle. After reading some posts here, I was inspired to give it a go.

Setup--baking stone elevated on charcoal baskets.
pbva.jpg

You can see the smoke coming off the fire.
sq7r.jpg

It's a Friday night, I'm coming home from the airport after a week on the road, and it's a test run for pizza on the kettle. So I'm not so interested, or inclined, to make my own dough, etc. So I pick up a pre-made pie from Whole Foods.
yjcc.jpg

Result after about 20 minutes, rotating once.
22ke.jpg

Overall a success...flavor was great, a hint of smoke (which married with the pepperoni nicely). The bottom was a little overdone, but I think with my own pizzas, I can solve that one.

Cheers, Michael

A single layer across the bottom. Pushed to the side may also help with the overdone bottom. More experimentation is necessary. :)

Great looking pizza for a store bought crust.

I do mine with the coals around the outside, usually about 2 chimneys worth. If you want it real hot set something across the bowl that will hold it a quarter inch or so open and close the top vent. I use rotisserie skewers for this.

Back