PittsnSpitts / WSM's

Can anyone compare the taste and quality of the BBQ FOOD from our WSM's with the taste and quality of the Q-FOOD off of a PittsnSpitts cooker ??

Beyond size and price I hope the meat tastes as good or better ????

i believe at the last comp in LI dr bbq won on a green egg. I think you will see from many ppl on this board and elsewhere (but then again you really dont have to look elsewhere) that its not on what you smoke the meat..but rather your spices and technique.....

but the pittsnspitts are might nice to look at.. and im sure they work really well also....good luck ...cant go wrong with a WSM

Jim, keep in mind the smoker is just a tool. The cook involves more than just a vessel for heat, it involves spices, meat quality, timing, etc. Different cookers have different pluses and minuses. Stickburners do impart a slightly different flavor than a charcoal smoker, and you can easily oversmoke your meat in no time at all. They're also much more difficult to control and require constant tending of the fire.

But do they produce a better product - I don't believe so. And according to contest results many others don't think so either.

What you get from a stick burner is capacity. Most of the good ones hold temps very well. Yes they need a little more tending than the WSM but once you get them hot they hold their temps just fine. Most of your really good ones i.e. Gator, Klose, Pitts & Spitts, Bates are made from 3/16" - 1/4" steel. You can always get the Guru with the 25 cfm fan and mount it on the pit. Alot of them offer charcoal baskets for their pitts and burn quite awhile without tending to them ( bates says 8 hrs on a 10 lb bag of lump ). Your good ones once hot only require a log or 2 every so often to keep them going. HTH
icon_smile.gif

Back