PitDroid: An Android app for your HeaterMeter

I cooked a butt this weekend and yes the deg/hr is constantly changing.

At around 140 stall happened and the rate dropped to 3 deg/hr.

The pit temp was 225. After it hit 160, I calculated that it wouldn't be done on time so I increased the temp to 250 and then 300 for the last few hours. And it got to 200 just in time.

Next time I think I'll do the cook at 250 to shorten the time just a bit.

It would be a nice feature to have if you have a deadline.

I cooked a butt this weekend and yes the deg/hr is constantly changing.

At around 140 stall happened and the rate dropped to 3 deg/hr.

The pit temp was 225. After it hit 160, I calculated that it wouldn't be done on time so I increased the temp to 250 and then 300 for the last few hours. And it got to 200 just in time.

Next time I think I'll do the cook at 250 to shorten the time just a bit.

It would be a nice feature to have if you have a deadline.

I've only cooked butt @ 250 as I've read many people have done 250-275 and still keep it juicy and moist, and with the added benefit of shorter times.

As for your deadline.. yes I know it can be a pain in the ***! My last butt was last weekend for fight night (mayweather/pacquiao). The butt was on at 7am, pulled it at 8pm. I thought it was gonna be done by 6pm at the latest 7. It only had time to rest for an hour before we had to dig into it and start makin sammiches. it was oohhh so good though.

Next time if I know there's a deadline, i'll wake up earlier to start the cook, or cook overnight, and just let it rest wrapped up in double foil, blanket and in a cooler for 1-3 hours. Making sure of course it stays above 140deg for safety concern.

This kinda is dragging the post off topic, but I've looked into trying to predict cook times a lot. The first stab used just the current temperature and a single point 60 minutes in the past and used that to calculate the degrees per hour. Now it uses the past 30-60 minutes of data and performs a least squares fitting linear regression to find the slope of a line passing closest to all the points. However both these assume that the temperature will increase linearly, which it doesn't.

What you have is 3 distinct sections, before the stall, the stall, and after the stall. The before and after I think you can model as a cubic interpolation where the starting temperature is the minimum, the stall temp is the max, and you have a single point of inflection between the two. The stall however is a variable amount of time and unpredictable from HeaterMeter's side so I'm not sure how much benefit there is in trying to model the other parts.

Next time if I know there's a deadline, i'll wake up earlier to start the cook, or cook overnight, and just let it rest wrapped up in double foil, blanket and in a cooler for 1-3 hours. Making sure of course it stays above 140deg for safety concern.
You can also just have HeaterMeter drop the temperature in the smoker. I foil at the end of the stall so it will just drop the temp, which is less messy than wrapping in blankets and sticking it on a cooler because like 1 in 10 times I end up with a hole in the foil and there's pork grease everywhere. I cut the temperature in steps so that there's less carryover.

Yes I installed it from there, but noted that there had not been any changes since 2013. I have a Nexus 6 running Android 5.1 and the graphs do not show correctly. They do not show the legend or X and Y labels. So I'm wondering if it is still being worked on or if it has been dropped by the developer?

Yes I installed it from there, but noted that there had not been any changes since 2013. I have a Nexus 6 running Android 5.1 and the graphs do not show correctly. They do not show the legend or X and Y labels. So I'm wondering if it is still being worked on or if it has been dropped by the developer?

I'm on CM12.1 (5.1.1) and its working fine.

The graphs show the X and Y labels on CM 12? Interesting.. After looking at it closer.. it may be a resolution issue. So when I was using the app the other day with a cook. I had no labels, but opening it up now with out a connection. I see that there are labels but they are so small you can't possibly read them. Looks nothing like the screen shots I have seen of the app. And there is no legend at the bottom like I have seen in screen shots of the app.

Last edited:
Yeah, i have to agree on readability, they are so small you couldn't possibly without a magnifying glass. I didn't even notice since I've been using the app so long.

Hmm conversion is being a bit tricky. having to update libraries. may have to rethink this... anyone else already compiling pitdroid in Android Studio?

Been loving the app. Thanks for all the hard work.

I'd really love to see some kind of notification for the app that listed the current temperatures. I'm thinking one of those notifications that doesn't go away until the app is completely closed out. I'm a java programmer so if help is needed please let me know. I haven't done a ton of android work but I'm sure I could help.

Hey guys, sorry, I didn't see any of the thread replies in a while since I must not have logged in, so it stopped sending me emails for them. A user has made some updates that should address issues on some phones, and I'll integrate that in and push out a new build. First I need to set up the Android tools again and remember how to use Git.

Dave, I actually did try to set it up the way you mentioned originally, but there was some issue that caused me to change it. I think it was the fact that every time I updated the notification with the new temperature my phone vibrated. This was years ago though, so I can't remember for sure.

I uploaded a new version to the Play store, it should show up in the next hour or so. See the first post for the changes. Please let me know if you run into any issues.

Looks good. cant see the numbers still on my Nexus 6. I had to set this in my copy of GraphActivity.java to be able to see them

mPlot.getGraphWidget().getDomainLabelPaint().setTextSize((PixelUtils.dpToPix(15)));
mPlot.getGraphWidget().getRangeLabelPaint().setTextSize((PixelUtils.dpToPix(15)));
mPlot.getGraphWidget().setMarginLeft(55);

J0b0qQ6.png

Thanks for digging in and getting the info on that one. I borrowed a Galaxy S6 from work and did some testing, and I got it looking good on both that and my ancient Android devices. I pushed a new release to Play with the fix, should be up soon.

Just tried the new version and it worked great on my sgs3. I really like the dual server addresses. The feature I'd like to request is access to ramp mode settings. Is that feasible?

Back