Pit Beef

Craig Cole

TVWBB Fan
For 3 years I lived in MD and grew fond of their pit beef, so I decided to try and make my own with some Sirloin Tip Roast that my in-laws left here a while ago.

I used the Steve Reichlein recipe from the NY Times article he wrote years ago and it is absolutely delicious. I cooked it til about 140F I don't have a meat slicer so I used my food processor to slice it. The only bad part is the slices are very small from having to quarter the roast to fit in the chute.

DSCN9376.jpg

DSCN9380.jpg

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Craig Cole:The only bad part is the slices are very small from having to quarter the roast to fit in the chute. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think the size of the slices affects the taste, and by the look of the meat on that plate, it looks darn tasty. I would definitely be putting a bunch of that in my mouth. Looks like something I'd like to try.

Thanks guys! The only mods to the recipe I made was I cut the Chili powder in 1/2 and left out cayenne pepper. My wife doesn't like spicy so I wanted to make it mild for our first try to make sure she'd like it. After making it I will definitely add more spice next time cuz the slices are so thin I don't think the extra CP will add much heat to it.

Because you slice the meat thin, it comes out super tender and very tasty. I let it sit in fridge for 3 days with the rub on it per the recipe. Yummy, yummy!

I will definitely be making this recipe again.

Back