Pink-Eyed Peas ?

D Larsen

TVWBB Super Fan
Being a new resident of northwest FL, I have never heard of "pink-eyed peas" before ! However, the locals are advertising that "the pink-eyes are in !!"

The Wife came home from the produce stand with a batch of 'em...any suggestions on how to prepare, and what to eat them with ???

Thanks !

Dean...

Those are likely pink eye purple hull peas. When quite young and still green I cook then with onion and a little garlic, salt and white pepper. Young or at maturity (the peas are fully colored and starting to dry) I might cook them in salted water and sweat onion and garlic or shallot in very good evoo on the side. When the beans are done all gets added to the beans with a little fresh thyme, stirred in then served.

Also good done typically as for black-eyes - with onion, smoked hock, jowl or bacon, maybe a little garlic.

I like oink eyes with sautéed young greens, especially chard. They're nice with homemade grilled turkey sausage, spice-rubbed grill-roast pork tenderloin, or as the base on which a large stuffed ripe bell pepper can perch.

Thanks, Kevin !

I started munching on the raw, shelled peas, after they were in the fridge for a while....pretty tasty ! They DO seem very much like black-eyes...kinda an "earthy" taste.

I once tried making Cuban bolitos from black-eyes, MANY years ago...I distinctly remember thinking "I'll never do THIS again...good, but not worth the hassle !" I like your suggestions better
icon_smile.gif

The Wife ended up using them to make a chilled "salad" from a recipe she found on the Net...the peas were cooked like black-eyes, as you suggested, with fatback, and then added to some bell peppers and onions and I don't know what all. The result kinda reminds me of a "3 Bean Salad"...it's VERY good, and will make a good side for a pulled pork sandwich, or maybe some ribs
icon_biggrin.gif

I look forward to pairing these with some of your suggestions...Thanks again for your guidance !

Dean...

Bought some dried yellow-eyes yesterday. Might do a salad with them myself, or maybe a spread for grilled bread.

Dice a strip of bacon and render down the fat. Pour off as much fat as you want and add diced green onions. Saute for awhile, add peas and enough water to cover. Simmer until tender. Love my fresh peas.

Kevin,

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
Bought some dried yellow-eyes yesterday. Might do a salad with them myself, or maybe a spread for grilled bread. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Okay....you have my attention !!! "...spread for grilled bread" ???

Tell us more
icon_biggrin.gif

Edwin,

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Edwin Vickers:
Dice a strip of bacon and render down the fat. Pour off as much fat as you want and add diced green onions. Saute for awhile, add peas and enough water to cover. Simmer until tender. Love my fresh peas. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the input !!! "Diced Green onions" was a suggestion I haven't heard yet....does it make a difference ??? Looks like you and I are "neighbors"...where do you buy your pink-eyes ??

Dean...

Render a couple or three slices of bacon in a medium pot till crisp then remove the bacon to towels; save most of the rendered fat separately. Add a little evoo to the remaining fat in the pot and add some minced onion. Cook till caramelized then add a little minced or pressed garlic and some minced fresh thyme leaves and cook just till the garlic is fragrant, maybe 45 seconds. Add a splash of white wine and a little white pepper and cook till the wine has almost totally evaporated.

Add a couple cups of peas to the pot with water to cover. Bring to a simmer then cook till the beans are very tender, maintaining the water level.

Strain the contents of the pot, reserving the cooking water. Crumble the reserved crisp bacon and add to the peas along with some of the reserved bacon fat. Purée very well in a blender, in batches if necessary, adding some of the reserved cooking water, as needed, so the peas purée well as the consistency is smooth and spreadable. (Force through a sieve for a very smooth finish, if desired.) Taste and adjust salt, pepper and add more bacon fat of you wish.

Remove to a bowl and sprinkle well with minced scallion (white and light green parts only) or minced chive. Serve warm or at room temp with freshly grilled bread on the side, or with crackers, breadsticks or crudités.

Back