Pimp My Genny 310! (new deflectors, bars, and burners)

Darren Lebner

TVWBB All-Star
Heat exhaustion took its toll on my 11 year old Genesis' interior parts. Original porcelain coated flavor bars rusted and bottom edges are deteriorating. Deflectors starting to warp. Burners working OK but rusting all over the outside.

Bought QuliMetal replacement parts on Amazon.

20220523_153042.jpg

I like that the bar corners are curved and not sharp like the Weber originals.

20220523_153837.jpg

Deflectors sure feel weighty enough. Here's some detail of the burners.

20220523_154222.jpg

This is what I said buh-bye to. No, the heavy duty original cast iron grates stay. They are in solid shape.

20220523_153424.jpg

The killer was removing the old burners. The bolts were solidly caked over. Solution was to gently scrape away around the bolts using a combination of a flat head screw driver and the end of a thick paper clip. Then I sprayed the top of each bolt with oven cleaner. After an hour, I took a rag dipped in a secret ingredient (hot water) and rubbed away. a bit of final scraping and the nut driver fit snugly over the nut. Small sudden twists loosened them and off they went!

The original ignitors were not too difficult to remove from the old burners and they easily slipped onto the new ones. I put the burners in place, opened the LP tank and lit them. DO I NEED TO BE CONCERNED ABOUT THE ORANGE FLAMES IN THE CENTER BURNER? PLEASE LET ME KNOW.

20220523_163738.jpg

And here we are - good as new!

20220523_164146.jpg

Looks great! I‘ve always enjoyed rebuilding the gassers.
Maybe swap the center and one of the side burners to see if the orange follows the burner. If it does, maybe an adjustment is needed to the burner. If it stays, Maybe check out and clean the manifold valve for that burner. There’s a good video for that over on tvwbb.

Last edited:
Small orange/yellow tips are fine. Yours do not look too bad. If you want, you can adjust your air shutter to get it looking like the other two. But, before you do that, let the grill run for ten minutes or so. Sometimes there is gunk on or in the tubes that produces the yellow flames as it burns off.

I am with Larry why? I have seen some stuff on seasoning new grates but not bars I have new Q stainless bars in my Silver C did nothing to them but burn them off for about 10 minutes to make sure there was no manufacturing residue left on them but that was it. Throw some rib eyes and burgers on them they will be seasoned pretty quick.

Darren,
The sidewinder is one really cool grill. In some ways the very last of the old-school Weber design wrapped in a newer, larger package. Sure, the cabinet can be a rust issue, but it is still a really nice grill. Just stay on it and you will have it for many more years to come.

I am with Brian. Judging by your pictures all that's missing is those ribeyes!

p.s. I am a fan of most of the products Qlimetal makes. I don't think you could do a whole lot better than what you got there. With diminishing options for real 304 stainless internals, I am glad that so far Qlimetal is still in the game. I feel they are a cut above many of the other overseas offerings.

The cabinet is unfortunately starting to show minor rust signs. That''s because up until last year, the grill used to spend the winters covered in a dry garage. However, I've moved it to another home, an apartment, where there's no indoor storage for it. Here's hoping that I get another decade plus years out of it.

It probably will, but the bottom panel in the grill will probably be gone in ten years as well.

Back