Pig shanks

Sean S.

TVWBB Pro
Had a great appetizer at a restaurant in Malden, Ma, yesterday: slow-cooked pigshanks that were given a light szechuan-esque coating. I would have preferred more of a north carolina bbq style, but these really were good. slow cooked so the meat was like pulled pork, they visually reminded me of turkey drumsticks in size and shape. they had one long thin bone in them.

I'll have to talk to my butcher and see if i can get some trimmed like this and play around with them.

have y'all ever seen something like this?

I've seen the shank meak boneless. It's basically a pork hock, skinless and probably frenched (i.e. cleaned up at the top to expose the bone).

The meat is great low and slow, although I usually braise it.

I bought something like this at our local Gordon Food Service this past spring. I think they were called "Hawg Wings" on the packaging, or something like that. Anyway, they were quite good cooked on the grill and lightly sauced.

I looked for them a couple weeks ago, but they didn't seem to have any.
icon_frown.gif
I hope that's just a seasonal thing.

JimT

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I bought something like this at our local Gordon Food Service this past spring. I think they were called "Hawg Wings" on the packaging, or something like that. Anyway, they were quite good cooked on the grill and lightly sauced. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

thats how I know them as Hawg wings. I always wondered where it came from. I assumed it was a part of the leg but figured there ought to be two bones in there.

the restaurant had them as exactly that, "hog wings," on the menu.

I went to my butcher and bought two shanks, a total of about 5 lbs, last night and cut them apart myself last night. I would say "butchered" but only in the verb sense and not the noun; given my complete lack of training in what I did it was more like "hacked" and will rightly offend any real butcher out there...

They each contained 2 bones: one big honking one (which I cut the meat away from and discarded via my dog) and one thinner one which I left in. I trimmed off as much fat as I could and have the meat marinating overnight in the Roadside marinade. to counter the vinegary tang of the roadside i'm going to coat the top of them with some Wolf Rub Original and cook on a rack in the oven tonight (on a work night i don't have the energy to fire up the wsm) at 275 until the internal temp reaches 190ish since the meat seems to be very similar to butt in texture.

I may also glaze one of them late in the cooking process with something like A-1 since I think that fruitiness will add a nice contrast.

seem reasonable?

Back