Piedmont, Sort of

Joe P

TVWBB Member
Hi,

Yesterday I did some ribs. It was a bit windy, about 15-20 mph. I used my Brinkman pan and a the foiled WSM pan on top of that. It leaves about a 1-2 inch gap between the two. I could not keep my WSM below 300 degrees. I started via Minon method and used 1/2 ring of charcoal. I need your opinion if it was the wind or my method with the two pans.

It was a bit windy, but I had my WSM in a triangular rigged wind break (2 sides-- two pieces of plywood (5' X 5')stood up to make a triangluar shape, open top, and open front)and the WSM placed in the triangle. The plywood at the tip of the triangle was held together with some wood vises (the kind used for woodworking)so the only place air could come in was the open front of the triangle and top.

Thanks Jim. I have gone through the tips section. In my cook yesterday, I hadd all the vents on the bottom closed and the top one closed 2/3rds (just enough for the thermometer).

When I would use water in the pan in the past I did not have trouble maintaining 225-250 degrees. I think the wind defintely had something to do with it besides not using water in the pan. I will try the waterless method and two pans on a calm day to see how it does.

You could of put some water in the top pan to see if your temp would of dropped, there would be less evaperation because of the two pans

Back