Pictures - WSK Vent Settings for 225(ish).

GrantT

TVWBB Pro
Anyone have any pictures of your WSK vents settings for a nice stable 225ish?

This is where I am sitting at, at the moment....

1721420467912.png

1721425245015.png

Last edited:
I don’t have pics but for 225°F target temp I cinch the top down a little more and the bottom symbol is on the Smoke dot that’s stamped into the metal.

I’ve found that if you over choke the bottom vent to too low, you’ll extinguish the coals. So I use the top vent for more fine tuning.

I also don’t run any wires or probes out of the top vent, but do run wires via the lip opening and rely on the gasket to create a good seal.

To me, the difference between cooking at 225°F vs 250°F is the same result but time saved at 250°F.

I’ll also use a water pan to keep temps low on LAS briskets and have held temps at 214°-240° with ease.

Example pic from actual cook:
1721422972218.png

Results of this actual cook:

1721423053722.jpeg

1721423087754.jpeg

Amount of briqs used for this brisket cook:

1721423124624.jpeg

Yes, I do a little more on the bottom…over the smoke setting and then throttle down the top more. Mine likes to ride closer to 260ish but I’m good with it. I have sniffed out some cooks by dialing down the bottom to low.

Anyone have any pictures of your WSK vents settings for a nice stable 225ish?

This is where I am sitting at, at the moment....

View attachment 96308

View attachment 96314

Grant,

I made ribs today and wanted to post photos of the cook:

Vent and ash sweep settings and the temp heald steady at just below 225 degrees:
IMG_7933.jpeg
IMG_7918.jpegIMG_7930.jpeg

It was a beautiful 84 degrees here with a mild breeze.

After six hours I took the ribs off, added sauce and wrapped them in foil.

Here are the ribs at that point, the water pan below and the tiles on the insulated plate for reference about the cook and temperature holding. The tiles are needed to keep the water pan level on the insulated plate.
IMG_7937.jpeg

IMG_7938.jpegIMG_7939.jpeg
I removed the water pan and tiles when the ribs went back on and the temperature went up to 250- after 45 minutes they were done and rested for about 15 minutes before we ate.

And the plate shot- the ribs turned out really good.
IMG_7940.jpeg

I don’t use remote thermometers for the most part, just rely on the thermometer on the WSC dome and get good results fwiw.

Cheers

Interested,as I do not own one of these. On the lower sweep temp control scale, I see 3 dots side by side, below that I see a foot ball shape, two slow "S" lines,then two lines with N orth and South arrows on them. Explain each please as my performer doesnot have these.

Interested,as I do not own one of these. On the lower sweep temp control scale, I see 3 dots side by side, below that I see a foot ball shape, two slow "S" lines,then two lines with N orth and South arrows on them. Explain each please as my performer doesnot have these.
Kevin- the football shaped oval means closed damper- this is where the ash sweep completely covers the bottom vent holes and the coals will be extinguished at this setting

The two s shapes side by side means smoke setting- the ash sweep partially covers the vent hole- the coals burn slowly on this setting for low and slow

The oval with north and south arrows is full open vent for high heat cooking.

Kevin- the football shaped oval means closed damper- this is where the ash sweep completely covers the bottom vent holes and the coals will be extinguished at this setting

The two s shapes side by side means smoke setting- the ash sweep partially covers the vent hole- the coals burn slowly on this setting for low and slow

The oval with north and south arrows is full open vent for high heat cooking.
Excellant thank you now I know what people are talking about.

Back