Pics of first pork butts: Thanks Chris Lilly!

Chris in Louisiana

TVWBB All-Star
I am a WSM newb. I've cooked chickens, ribs, and brisket and was darned happy. But this pork butt was something else.

I was not so interested in pork butt, but decided to try it just because I wanted to cook this weekend. I followed Chris Lilly's Six-time World Championship Pork Shoulder recipe, and it was AWESOME!

I made both the No. 5 Sauce and Fat Johnny's Bastardized Piedmont Sauce from recipes found on this board. Our three guests (who I invited at the last minute because I had no idea how this would turn out)loved it all. They refused to use the bottle sauces I had as milder options.

I added my killer cole slaw, and some Bush baked beans that I doctored up and smoked for a couple hours.

I really pat myself on the back for this cook, although all I did was follow what I read on here (I also have Chris Lilly's book). It was some righteous Que.

The two butts from Sams weighed 16.58 lbs. Cost was about $20. Could have fed the neighborhood. What a bargain!

Here is some evidence.

DSC_0648.jpg

DSC_0651.jpg

DSC_0659.jpg

Looks like Chris in Decatur, AL may have some competition from Chris in Louisiana!

Great looking - they sure are pretty when they're all smoked up and ready to pull.

I'm diggin' those Dutch Ovens, too.

Pat

Question above: Did you do both the Chris Lilly injection and the rub?

Yes. No idea what impact the injection ultimately had, but I used it all. I also used all the rub, which resulted in a really thick coating of it. That's probably why the bark came out so well.

I started to inject one and not the other, for comparison, but I figured I would lose track of which was which. Maybe next time.

Thanks. I've got two I'm going to smoke this week. I think I'll try one with the Chris Lilly injection and rub and then one with just the Texas BBQ rub.

Mark

Originally posted by Steve Petrone:
What did you do to make No.5 your own?

I pretty much stuck to the original recipe for my first try. I forgot to save some of Lilly's rub for the sauce, so I used some commercial Stubb's rub. That was it.

Next time I may tinker a bit. That's usually how I approach new recipes. Follow instructions the first time, experiment later.

Back