pics from Barbecuing The Weber Covered Way

Status
Not open for further replies.
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Shaun R:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by C.Hill:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Shaun R:
Do you guys see the orange 22 I am talking about? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you talking about the kettle with the lid off above the avacado 'Joe? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Yep! It's clearly orange in my book and leads me to believe they may have made it just for the shoot.

Has anyone else noticed "The Traveler" next to the orange one? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think it is the image coloring processing of lightening the entire photo and that grill did not hold the red so well. You can see mori paterns in the image common in early four color process.

I love the part . . . " Weber chefs don't quit when winter comes . . .A Weber Kettle Chef is a man for all seasons. He cooks outdoors summer winter, etc. . . . " That's no lie I use mine collection all year.

I have to ask Mark, do you have the book? I wish I could have you take a close look at mine.

I have to ask Mark, do you have the book? I wish I could have you take a close look at mine. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep.

I just got my '72 copy in the mail the other day, and I looked closely at the kettle in question, it kind of looks orange, but it kind of looks red too. At least to my eyes anyway. I like the shot of the suckling pig in the black 26"er. I showed my wife, and she said "DONT EVEN THINK IT!" I said, what, cook a pig? She said "get the idea that you need the bigger Weber!" ......
icon_rolleyes.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by C.Hill:
I just got my '72 copy in the mail the other day, and I looked closely at the kettle in question, it kind of looks orange, but it kind of looks red too. At least to my eyes anyway. I like the shot of the suckling pig in the black 26"er. I showed my wife, and she said "DONT EVEN THINK IT!" I said, what, cook a pig? She said "get the idea that you need the bigger Weber!" ......
icon_rolleyes.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>It's a brown 26'r in my book.
icon_confused.gif

icon_rolleyes.gif
icon_confused.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>. Haha I'll have to look again when I get home. You may be right. The image of the pig is what stuck out in my mind.

icon_rolleyes.gif
icon_confused.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Shaun, you were right, it is a brown 26'er. I wasnt looking close enough. I can't wait for my 1980 copy to come in the mail this week.

One way to tell by the cover only if your book is a 1972 or a revised 1979 version is to take a look at the Smokey Joe in the background hidden amongst what looks like plant leaves. After studying the covers, the '72 version has an avacado colored SJ and is very easily hidden. I didnt even notice it was there until I actually got the book. For the revised edition (1979) the same Smokey Joe has been altered to look flat black (or greyish) and is much more noticeable at a glance. Its the same photo from '72. Weird! (in a good way)

The older version also has a red smokey in the snow photo. There are several other changes as well.

The older version also has a red smokey in the snow photo. There are several other changes as well. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Red 'Joe in the snow is made to look black on the lid, but the bowl looks dark green.
icon_confused.gif
Same photo.... weird that red was not available on Smokey Joes in the late 1970s, but were again later in the '80s & '90s. interesting changes/revisions they did for 1979. The lime 22.5' seen on the Lamb chapter cover page has been tinted to look dark green. Theres some newer close-up pictures of some dark green and blue kettles that have the thicker 80s style twist ash pan. Pretty neat recipies/ideas that I cant wait to try! I'm excited to have 3 versions (1972 1st printing, 5th printing (same, but came with some copyright 1976 photo ad inserts for home electric indoor grills) and the 10th printing (1972 & 1979). Interestingly enough, the 5th printing waterfall shot has the "orange" kettle looking more red than the 1st edition made it out to look.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back