PICS: Done and Cooked "Pot Roast a la Stogie"

Mike Hartwell

TVWBB Pro
I haven't been able to find a reasonably priced 'packer' here in my little corner, so...
My local supermarket is having a sale on 7 bone chuck, and I found this link so I'll do that tomorrow AM.
More to follow...
Well, here we go...10/03/10 10:00 AM
I've got a MM load of Kingsford Blue with 2 chunks of cherry and 1 of hickory starting.

My carfully selected rare spices for the rub
DSCF0555.JPG

The 6 lb chuck in the pan with rub and 1 cup of beef broth.
DSCF0556.JPG

The smoker doing it's thing at 220, heading for 250 or so (note the carefully contived stand off clamp for the transmitter)
DSCF0557.JPG

The roast has been on for two hours, time to foil the pan.
DSCF0558.JPG

now to let it go until 4:30 or so, then add the veggies.

4carrots, 4 yukon golds, 1 stalk celery, 1 yellow onion added.

DSCF0559.JPG

Off the cooker, in the pan to rest.
DSCF0560.JPG

...and, finally, on the platter.

DSCF0561.JPG

Just as shown in the original link, the veggies were just right, the meat very smoky, but that was ok, the 'gravy' was just right.

I've done that cook, Mike. It's WONDERFUL!
You got me wanting another one. I was wondering what to cook this "weekend" (I'm off Sunday & Monday).
We'll compare notes if I decide to do it, yes?

I went shopping this morning at Kroger. Talked to the "butcher" and he said he hasn't seen a 7 bone since 1984. Everything they get is boneless. He did, however, have chuck roast, and offered to cut me one to order.
So now I have a 6 lb. USDA Choice boneless Chuck Roast. It's beautiful! Check the pictures for yourself. Look at that marbling!
I'm excited!
I'll put this on tomorrow about 10 am Tennessee Time.

Excellent cook, Mike! Way to go! That looks delicious.
Since I'm not a "New" WSM owner, I'm gonna move my cook to the Barbecuing forum.

Back