Pics - Butt Started 1030PM last night

Brian Berz

TVWBB Member
I threw a 8 lb pork butt covered in mustard and my favorite spices on the WSM 18 last night at 1030pm.....I tryed sand in my brinkman water pan. So far so good. I filled charcoal ring to top and threw on 10 lit coals, left vents 50% open and threw on butt. The outside air temp is about 40 degrees. When my temps crept up to 200 I closed 1 vent and the other two just left open 10% and went to bed about 1130. Woke up at 5am and it was right at 250 at the lid so I closed one vent all the way and went back to sleep. When I woke up at 830am it has dropped to 225 and I am chugging away. I want to keep it right around 225. At 830am the butt temp was 163.

I like sand so far....

You go Brian! But remember, unless you post some pic's, it's all make believe!
icon_biggrin.gif

As requested Larry, it is the least I can do. I have learned a ton from you and others on here. There are a few of my barbecue partner in the pics as well......

376205980.jpg

376205982.jpg

376205984.jpg

376205988.jpg

376205987.jpg

By the way I am using Cherry wood.....

Here is the temp. I flipped for first time and reprobed. basted with a little apple juice.
376205978.jpg

Ahhhh. Morning coffee on the Performer table, and a big ole hunk of pork on the wsm. Life doesn't get much better.

Looking good!

See how nice it is when you share!!!

BEAUTIFUL dog!!! I bet you don't have to worry about anyone stealing your BBQ!!!!!

Thanks for the well wishes..Sorry no pics of the finished product but I had some people over and forgot to snap some pics.

Just to give my final report, I used sand for the first time cooking this butt. I will have to try it a few more times but if all my smokes go like this past one I wont use water again.

- I made sure I caught temps before they got too high and than it was easy to maintain temps with SMALL vent adjustments. My temps even went up to 275 and i was worried (based on what I read i wouldnt be able to get them down). But I closed bottom vents and they were down in 15 mins.

- Dont have to worry about replenishing water

- No difference in butt taste or anything when using water vs sand (that I could tell)

- Cleanup is much easier with sand. This is the best part....

My next smoke is going to be a chuck roll. I will let you all know how that goes.....

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brian Berz:

My next smoke is going to be a chuck roll. I will let you all know how that goes..... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You will not be disappointed with the chuck roll. Just did one this weekend and WOW. Better then the Pulled pork IMO. The guys here were very helpful. I have a few recent threads following that cook. If you care to look.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brian Berz:
Sorry no pics of the finished product but I had some people over and forgot to snap some pics.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

tell the truth, you just didn't want those people to think you are out of your mind
icon_razz.gif

i went waterless after the 3rd or 4th cook on my WSM and love it. i use a clay saucer though.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tony C.:
Sorry no pics of the finished product but I had some people over and forgot to snap some pics.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

tell the truth, you just didn't want those people to think you are out of your mind
icon_razz.gif

i went waterless after the 3rd or 4th cook on my WSM and love it. i use a clay saucer though. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Haha - My wife already was wondering why I was taking pictures of the pork while it was on the grill....I said I need to show my TVWB friends what I am up to....She just doesnt get it.....
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
......BBQ'ing isnt just about cooking, it more than that....hahaha.....I am used to the funny looks though, wife and family dont understand why I need three grills....
wsmsmile8gm.gif
wsmsmile8gm.gif
wsmsmile8gm.gif

[/QUOTE]

Haha - My wife already was wondering why I was taking pictures of the pork while it was on the grill....I said I need to show my TVWB friends what I am up to....She just doesnt get it.....
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
......BBQ'ing isnt just about cooking, it more than that....hahaha.....I am used to the funny looks though, wife and family dont understand why I need three grills....
wsmsmile8gm.gif
wsmsmile8gm.gif
wsmsmile8gm.gif
[/QUOTE]

I understand what your going through, mine just looks at me and shakes her head. Then tells me I am out of my mind.

Back