Picanha advice needed. How to cut for grilling?

DanHoo

TVWBB Olympian
Not sure which direction to cut into steaks, or a good thickness. Planning a sear, then indirect finish.

20220704_100928.jpg20220704_123018.jpg

Last edited:
Dan, not to be picky but, the relative position you’re showing has the skewers in the same direction.
The way I’ve seen them cut is with the fat cap curled “horseshoe” fashion. So, in my minds eye it would be generally diagonally?

Dan, not to be picky but, the relative position you’re showing has the skewers in the same direction.
The way I’ve seen them cut is with the fat cap curled “horseshoe” fashion. So, in my minds eye it would be generally diagonally?
I deleted the pic of B.

So, like this?

20220704_133019.jpg

How Timothy described is how I cut my first one last week. Fat cap on top curled into a horseshoe shape and skewered. I cut mine about 2” thick.

I have never cooked them in steak form, only roast form but I have seen pics with the big hunk of fat running down one whole side.
Put the fat at the end of your cut and go against the grain, like a flank steak would.....cut when it's cooked.
I think anyways.....
If the other side of that roast is a fat cap I think pic B is the one.
Like I said, never did it before but if you don't cut it against the grain, I think your results will be very poor.
These cooked in roast form to about 125 ( I like mine rare but not raw, and rest it for 20 minutes ) and cut very thin against the grain make excellent hot and cold beef sandwiches. I make a horseradish, mayo sauce ( it has vinegar and spices too ) for this application and a sharp slice of cheese.
I trim the fat cap off when I do this and it can handle a pretty high amount of rub as the slices are very thin.

I think the horseshoe talk is just the steak being turned 180 degrees to skewer.......basically fat cap down one whole side of the beef.

If you sear directly, watch the fat cap as it renders down real fast. Don’t leave these unattended if you’re on direct fire.

If your on sticks, with the coal at bottom position, the cook will be more forgiving. Just rotate your sticks.

Looks good!

If you sear directly, watch the fat cap as it renders down real fast. Don’t leave these unattended if you’re on direct fire.

If your on sticks, with the coal at bottom position, the cook will be more forgiving. Just rotate your sticks.

Looks good!
I was going to put coal on the lower rack towards the back of the E6. Sear lid open, then move to the front to finish indirect.

Back