Picadillo

Joan

TVWBB Hall of Fame
Tonight's dinner, served over rice, in honor of National Olive Day. This will be the 43rd time we have made this starting back in 1994

Picadillo
(Ground beef Cuban Creole Style)

2 lbs. ground beef
1/4 cup olive oil
1 lg. green bell pepper blended
2 TB. Badia Complete Seasoning
6 ripe tomatoes, blended or 1 cup tomato sauce
1/4 cup capers
1/4 cup green OLIVES, sliced
1/2 cup raisins
1 cup red wine
1 cup early peas with its liquid
salt to taste

Mix all ingredients, except peas, in a pot with hot oil. Stir well, cover and cook over medium heat for thirty minutes. To reduce sauce, uncover and cook longer. Add the peas before serving.

Source: Badia booklet

How do you keep track of how many times you've made it?

Also, there has to be someone out there that's celebrated most of these food and drink days of the year during a calendar year, and blogged about it.

OK, I’ll break the ice,
“Early peas with liquid”?
Does that mean something like canned peas?
Thanks Joan, I don’t care “How you’ve kept track” I’m just pleased that you have the sense to do so!

OK, I’ll break the ice,
“Early peas with liquid”?
Does that mean something like canned peas?

Thanks Joan, I don’t care “How you’ve kept track” I’m just pleased that you have the sense to do so!

I was wondering the same thing too. I decided it was probably canned peas.

Yes, that is what we used at the beginning, but I have, shall we say, developed a "dislike" for peas in these later years, so DH either has them on the side or leaves them out.

As far as keeping track of how many times we make a recipe, simple. The recipe is taped on a sheet of paper, date made (first time) at the top and under the recipe, the date again with who made it and who ate it, with comments needed and lastly, we give it a rating. Excellent, Very Good means make again. Just a Good means maybe make again but with some changes, and O.K. and No, you can guess what that means. lol. And if we do make it again, I do the same thing. In the case of the Picadillo, I have had to staple another sheet of paper to it. lol

I just posted the recipe for Cuban Complete Seasoning that we have been using lately, if you don't have or can't find Badia's. It is very good.

Yes, that is what we used at the beginning, but I have, shall we say, developed a "dislike" for peas in these later years, so DH either has them on the side or leaves them out.

As far as keeping track of how many times we make a recipe, simple. The recipe is taped on a sheet of paper, date made (first time) at the top and under the recipe, the date again with who made it and who ate it, with comments needed and lastly, we give it a rating. Excellent, Very Good means make again. Just a Good means maybe make again but with some changes, and O.K. and No, you can guess what that means. lol. And if we do make it again, I do the same thing. In the case of the Picadillo, I have had to staple another sheet of paper to it. lol

Nice, I like your system.

June 1

National Olive Day

A few days late, but this is dinner tonight, again. Well, it has been 11 months since last we had it, so hard to believe we went that long without making it. lol

June 1

National Olive Day

A few days late, but this is dinner tonight, again. Well, it has been 11 months since last we had it, so hard to believe we went that long without making it. lol
Both DH and myself thought that something was wrong this time. He made it with white wine and it just was not as good as red and it over cooked a little and got too dry. It might be another 11 months before we try this again. lol

Barb tracks our recipes with a the date we made it. Then if we make any changes such (Barb hates peas) as an ingredient substitution we make that note and I correct the recipe. All of our non book recipes are stored on word documents, so there easy to modify. With us having literally around a thousand recipes we purge them every so often and for the most part except for holiday recipes if we haven't made them in over a year I remove them.

Barb tracks our recipes with a the date we made it. Then if we make any changes such (Barb hates peas) as an ingredient substitution we make that note and I correct the recipe. All of our non book recipes are stored on word documents, so there easy to modify. With us having literally around a thousand recipes we purge them every so often and for the most part except for holiday recipes if we haven't made them in over a year I remove them.
Hi Rich and Barb, how can you get rid of them? A lot of our recipes have a record of our family life. Like some where I note that my mother really enjoyed the fish we caught and cooked for her. I could never part with those. I keep them all in 3 and 4 inch binders. On my 6th binder now. I also told DH that if I go first, they are to go to my daughter and she has instructions to pass them on. What they do with them is up to them then. lol

Hi Rich and Barb, how can you get rid of them? A lot of our recipes have a record of our family life. Like some where I note that my mother really enjoyed the fish we caught and cooked for her. I could never part with those. I keep them all in 3 and 4 inch binders. On my 6th binder now. I also told DH that if I go first, they are to go to my daughter and she has instructions to pass them on. What they do with them is up to them then. lol
All the family recipes are separate from the every day recipes. Many we try and don't care for so they go away.

Rich, just reading your comments again. The reason I keep the everyday recipes we don't like is just to make sure I don't come across that recipe again somewhere else and don't remember we tried it and didn't like it. Like, someday I might be checking the wine binders and come across it and try it. You get the picture lo

But, on the other hand, when I put a recipe in the make soon folder, I don't always check IF we did make it already. Can't win for loosing they say. lol

Arun, hi, sorry, just now saw your post. I'm glad you like the way I do things. How do you keep track of what you make?
I have a folder (now on my 2nd folder).

If I like a recipe, or there's a chance I might make it again, it goes in one of the folders. If not, I throw it out.

I rarely make notes, I think I've only done it on one recipe ever, because I added a few more spices.

The recipes are in somewhat alphabetical order. Except soups are at the beginning. And any bread or baked dessert is after that, because mentally I classify it under "baked goods". So alphabetically, that's in the B section.

Then I also have a "drinks" category in the D section, which has a few assorted drink recipes.

Back