Phil from STL, MO

PhilP

TVWBB Member
Hi everybody.

I found you all in my various web searches; I decided this would be the year I got serious about grilling and really got into it. I went from a Char-Broil gas grill to a Weber Performer a few years ago and have enjoyed charcoal grilling, but I wanted to go beyond basic pork steaks and burgers. Well, so far, so good.

Yesterday I managed to pick up an unused just-out-of-the-box-and-assembled 22" WSM from a guy on Craigslist who didn't want to tear it down and return it (something about "too big," whatever that means... guess he may have found cars that are too fast and women who are too pretty too...). So now I'm going to get into the world of low and slow smoking.

Lots of information here, I'm looking forward to interacting with and learning from you all.

Welcome to the forum Phil. Congrats on that WSM. They are great smokers and you will really enjoy using it and cooking on it. And of course, your family and friend will love the food. Just out of curiosity, what did that beauty cost?

Welcome to the forum Phil. Congrats on that WSM. They are great smokers and you will really enjoy using it and cooking on it. And of course, your family and friend will love the food. Just out of curiosity, what did that beauty cost?

Got it for $350. There is a bit of a ding on the midsection (up on the lip), but it's mostly a scratch in the paint from when it was delivered. He threw in a couple bags of Kingsford too.

One thing you should do Phil is to call Weber and register that WSM. Good chance they will send you a new midsection to replace that damaged one. Worth a try anyway.

Lots of information here, I'm looking forward to interacting with and learning from you all.

Welcome from Eureka, Phil. Whereabouts in the STL area are you?

I saw that WSM on CL, too. You got a great deal.

I'm also hunting for a WSM, but that seller saying it's too big makes me keep debating between the 18.5" and 22.5". I know I'll be happy with the room when I need it, but I still can't figure out if the added fuel amount will be a huge increase or not. I probably just need to stop overthinking things and missing good CL deals.

Welcome from Eureka, Phil. Whereabouts in the STL area are you?

I saw that WSM on CL, too. You got a great deal.

I'm also hunting for a WSM, but that seller saying it's too big makes me keep debating between the 18.5" and 22.5". I know I'll be happy with the room when I need it, but I still can't figure out if the added fuel amount will be a huge increase or not. I probably just need to stop overthinking things and missing good CL deals.

I'm in St. Charles; a couple miles south of the 364 bridge along the river.

This thing really is big; I'd seen one at the Weber Grill Academy so I knew this was going to not be a small item. If I were paying retail I would have gone 18.5", but the deal on this one was too good to pass up. I figured the room it takes up wouldn't be that big a deal and as for fuel, well, charcoal's cheap. I'll just have to cook more meat when I fire it up to make it worthwhile. :D

Welcome aboard Phil, and congrats on your WSM purchase.

Have you eaten at Weber Grill yet?
My son wants to take me there for Father's Day, but the reviews I'm seeing are not so great for the most part.
Some say it doesn't compare to the one in Chicago.

Welcome aboard Phil, and congrats on your WSM purchase.

Have you eaten at Weber Grill yet?
My son wants to take me there for Father's Day, but the reviews I'm seeing are not so great for the most part.
Some say it doesn't compare to the one in Chicago.

Been there a couple times. Food is great, service was great once and indifferent once. The Grill Academy is a lot of fun too. Even if you know what you're doing it's still worth the time.

Back